Sign in to follow this  
robochan

what Big Squeegee and what app tape

I keep having problems with my app tape. Applying it is hard and I keep putting off jobs because of it.  I use Perfectear maintape and it is awful. I use green star vinyl and need to know what is the best clear tape to use.

Also looking into the Big Squeegees. I do not do this enough to justify spending $100 so will the other Big Squeegees work just fine?

Again Thank you all for so much help.

Make your own with a piece of plexiglas and some felt.  I made 2 and love them almost as much as my real BS

Use just a flat pice of it and cover the ends in felt? Where can you buy plexiglass?

I bought mine from the local glass shop - others have used large paint edge guards, personally I love the plexi ones

I use Main Tape clear GXF-100 from Ordway. I've been pretty happy with it. I also have some paper R-Tape 4075 High Tack on standby for some wet-app too.

Why cant you  use clear for wet app?

Because water won't evaporate through the plastic tape. 

I haven't used clear tape in years.  I tried it way back.  It's handy for laying up multiple layers on the bench.  I do most everything wet, so I only keep paper tape in the shop.  I think paper is easier.  I don't use registration marks for alignment.  You can see through the paper well enough to align layers.  Once the un-applied layer is aligned with the applied layer under it, tape the top or side, peel the carrier and apply using the hinge method.

I do not have a permanent work space, so I cant use a light table. I do lots of 2-4 layer stuff for racing and thought clear was the best option. I have done the hinge method but never thought about doing it for layers. How do you do the wet method and do you need to but application fluid?

I use a mix of water, soap and alcohol.  I lay it up on the job, not on the bench.  Doing it dry is faster if it comes out perfect.  If it doesn't, you'll spend way more time popping and chasing bubbles than you would just laying it up wet.  I can typically peel the app tape within a minute or so after the water is squeegeed out...Then just continue with the next layer.  The procedure is the same as if you were doing it dry.  Line it up, tape on side, wet and apply.  You should be able to see through the app tape well enough to align the next layer...Tape it in place, wet and apply.  If your alignment isn't perfect it will lift as long as you haven't squeegeed it down.  When I'm doing larger graphics, I typically break up the top layer into smaller pieces.  For instance, if I had the words "FOR RENT" 20" high and shadowed, I would lay down the shadow in one piece, but I may break up the top layer and lay each letter separately.  Just makes things easier to handle when working alone. 

I do not do many installs. Most the people i sell to like to save every penny and self install. I cut, weed, tape and give it to them. So i do all bench work.