c4l3b

Hand painting/ drawing on vinyl

I'm currently using Oracal and greenstar for my stickers. They're turning out great.

A few friends and I have thought about making unique hand painted/drawn stickers to sell on Etsy. I already have the material sitting around, why not?

I've seen a few threads where people are painting vinyl, but usually airbrush or rattle can. I'm interested in brushing it on or possibly just using permanent markers.

My questions:

-what kind of paint would adhere well and not fade quickly?

-should I seal it afterwards?

-what kind of marker will not fade quickly?

-is there any reason that the vinyl I'm already using wouldn't work?

Here's an example of one of pen, though this specific image probably wouldn't be used since It is based off of a popular photo that I don't own.

morepugs.jpg

Here's an example of paint, though this one is digital, you get the point:

cth9.jpg

Guest AndrewJ

Sorry for the non-informative reply, but did you draw / paint those yourself?  Great artwork, especially the portrait  :thumbsup:

Yes I did, thanks!

I'll be testing out standard fine tip sharpies this weekend, but I somehow suspect they'll bead/fade.

with you painting or drawing on them you will definitely want a overlaminate. if you draw with sharpies a clear overlaminate film will probably be best. If you paint it I would look into a product called Frog Juice. It's a spray or roll on clear overlaminate.

You should look into injket vinyl, it is matte and will accept paint/ink/marker better than standard vinyl.

You might want to also just print out some digital art on Papilio Inkjet Photo Glossy self-adhesive vinyl and then contour-cut it or, buy the die-cut Papilio and print on that with a good printer. Then, you can sell those individual decals with your art on them. You can even hand-sign the digital prints with a silver metallic marker or something if you want to add a bit more of a painterly feel. Or, sign and number them. Depends how you want to go with it and how much of that 'fine-art' feel you want. There's even Papilio paper I believe which looks like canvas!

I'm an artist myself and last year, I developed a line of full-color, contour-cut, mix-and-match 'Punkinhead' characters which I sell around Halloween. It's a fun concept. and some people like building their families and pets out of these characters, based on the stick-figure family theme which has been popular.

I'm planning to do more holidays, but this theme can be applied in many ways....whether it be blob family, vampire family, etc.

Being an artist, the sky's the limit and you don't need to compete with the bajillion people selling peeing Calvins on Ebay.

Nice art by the way, and welcome to the forum!

The hand drawn stuff turned out kind of cruddy. Apparently my skills with markers aren't on par. I pretty much just lost interest and went to printing digital stuff instead.