mac6986

decisions, decisions . . .

ok its getting to the point where im turning away more work than id like to because i dont have print capabilities. now im looking around and im finding thermal ink vs. solovent and i have no idea what that means. i was looking at some smaller WFP that have the ability to be roll fed, and can handle the thickness of the vinyl, but is the ink going to bond to the material?

i was looking at a used Epson Stylus Pro 4000. am i in the right ball park? my budget for a printer is $1000 max. not trying to sound needy, but theres alot of crap to weed through and im not 100% confident that i know what im looking for.

any help is appreciated

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/WideFormat/WideFormatDetail.jsp?infoType=Specs&oid=-13521&category=Wide+Format+Printers&menuSpec=4583

You will want a solvent ink printer for outdoor use. Unfortunately you will not find one for anywhere near 1000.  the best place to learn is at a trade show about the printers.  for a printer for outdoor advertisement new you are looking at around 12,995.  In the mean time might I suggest someone like james605 that does this at a great discount for you

Depends on how wide you need... You can get a new Solvent/Eco-Solvent 24" Printer for well under $16000.00

Used is always a good way to go especially if you can have ownership properly transferred via the machines serial number and have the option of re-warrantying the equipment.

If you find some for 1000.00 max as the op states, let me know - I want one

thanks for the info guys, didnt know they were THAT expensive. looks like ill be outsourcing my print graphics for a little while longer. i remember seeing somewhere that solvent is preferred over thermal. whats the difference? and asside from the cost of the machine itself, whats the operating cost of these machines, i.e. whats ink for these things go for?

when I think of theremal I think of the old rolands that took ribbons.  they are outdated, cost more to run and are very expensive to fix when the heads get bad spots in them.  this is not to be confused with the roland edge which is still used and still expensive

Mac,

If this is a business you are wanting to run you might want to consider getting a small business loan and pay a small monthly payment, you will see the work you are turning down will well pay for it every month. Now if it's just a hobby I wouldn't go that route as it would be QUITE the expensive hobby  :thumbsup:  When you have the capabilities of doing 4 color as opposed to just one color with say like a cutter, people start flooding your doors down with NEEDS and WANTS!

Good Luck :thumbsup:

DAZZEL