Hey guys. Just did a decent sized job for a friend. I gave him the "bro" discount and afterwards am realizing I waaay under estimated the job. Super embarrassed to even tell you what I charged, but I promise I will after I find out what an intelligent businessman would have charged. I am including the mock-ups with measurements and all in all I spent about twenty hours from start to finish including design time on the logo and lettering.

Used Oracal 651 for the whole thing. Applied dry and only had to prick two or three air pockets!

Also, I have a question for the seasoned pros. Do you guys charge extra for being high up on a ladder?

Oh, lord just wait until you find out how much I charged...

post-6023-12986555469822_thumb.jpg

post-6023-12986555470499_thumb.jpg

post-6023-12986555483104_thumb.jpg

post-6023-12986555483596_thumb.jpg

IF you got hosed, you hosed yourself. You made the estimate.

Live and learn.

If it was for a friend & you at least paid for your material , you did ok . Like John said live & learn . You will remember the hours & work it took & also know what to charge for a job like that next time . Being a friend , it also may come back to you . It seems like good advertisement at any rate .

20 hours? good lord man, i don't see anything that would take 20 hours to complete but that's just me because I've been at this for 5 years now.

So, what did you charge? You really only got hosed if the client didn't pay you. You made the price and they paid it.

I got a window lettering job today for 2 10x24" 2 color graphics that will go on separate windows. I charged $314 installed and that includes the 2 colors (white and metallic gold), 1 hour travel time, 1/2 hr artwork set up since the customer had the file and i had to make a few adjustments and set it up and 1 hour to cut/weed/mask and 1 hour to install.

You need to get a grasp on what it costs you to produce the job, then how much time you will have on different aspects of the production.

I would absolutely charge extra to go off ground, one wrong move and your in the hospital.

Check out the articles around about pricing and NEVER lose money on a job again. http://estimatesoftware.com has a great blog.

Nice on the new job and yes they did pay up, so I didn't truly get hosed.

I charged a "whopping" $350.00. Blech. I feel like such a DB. Most of the time was spent behind the monitor kearning my life away.  I generally just do small runs of band decals and promotional logo handouts and even then I'm still just a baby in the business. However, after a year I should be able to estimate a job properly.

Thanks for the link! 

Nice on the new job and yes they did pay up, so I didn't truly get hosed.

I charged a "whopping" $350.00. Blech. I feel like such a DB. Most of the time was spent behind the monitor kearning my life away.  I generally just do small runs of band decals and promotional logo handouts and even then I'm still just a baby in the business. However, after a year I should be able to estimate a job properly.

Thanks for the link! 

I tell you what, $350 is MUCH higher than i thought you would have so you didn't lose on the materials IMO

I have been doing this for 5 years now and i just recently got a better grasp on proper pricing so after a year is nothing lol

;)

I probably wouldn't have charged much more than that for a friend just to get experience on installing . I'm still a noob too with only like 5 months of part time experience. ;)

If it's just what is shown in the photos, I would have been at about $250 installed in the local area.

I would have been around $350-400 here. No way it would have taken me 20 hours though. Looks like 1-2 hrs design time. bout 2 hrs cut, weed, and tape. and about 2 hours install.

Sounds like you hosed yourself by all the time you put into it.

Gotta learn somehow.

yea your price is fine, you cant expect to make a lot more money just cause it takes you a long time to design. im all about charging for design time but being slow at it is no reason for putting that extra time/money onto the customer

I think you got a good price, but you were only hosed by your lack of experience since it took ya longer than it probably should have. Your friend essentially paid you to get some on-the-job experience, so I think in the end you both came out well.

I've underbid jobs before too and yeah, it sucks, but you just have to grit your teeth, get through it and chalk it up to experience. Eventually you'll get faster, learn to bid jobs better and spend less time and make more money. ;)

dont feel so bad, i did a 26ft  inclosed car trailer front to back for $350, ill never do that agin,  i hope we really do live and learn friend thought is was 1 color, i had to custom draw the art and apply, took 4 hours application :thumbsup: