Sign in to follow this  
silvertrx

Postings Decals

Well i think i may have broke the record for most topics in a row.

I normally send decals in envelopes but i have to send a 1 metre x 400mm rear car window business decal, so postal tube is obviously the best option but i tried rolling a 600mm x 64mm decal into a postal tube before and no mater which way i rolled it (face up/face down) the app tape lifted from the backing paper in several places (basically where the vinly letters were it instead of curving it stayed slighly flat) this made the decal crease.

What have i done wrong? is there a certain method?

Try rolling it around a smaller diameter tube, pipe, etc.  The reason its rolling differently is because it has nothing to conform to.  The backing with vinyl still attached is more rigid than the backing alone, which is causing your problem.  I've had luck wrapping about around a smaller tube (be it another mailer, pipe, dowel rod, etc.) then sliding it off and into the mailer. 

Hope this helps!

The longest envelope I have is 12". When I ship a decal that is longer, but want to keep it flat, I find some place that I can fold it where there is no vinyl.

The app tape not sticking to the backing paper is what it is supposed to do (or not do)

Alternative is to go down to your local mattress store...get a big cardboard box, and cut pieces to fit the decal. In the US, the post office has a limit of 82 inches (maybe 84..I don't remember) which is length+ circumferance. If it goes over that, I ship UPS.

i post for free so i try and keeping shipping cost as low as possible

I do fold some of my decals but this is either best shipped out flat (higher shipping costs as more weight)

or postal tube (less weight)