Sign in to follow this  

Well im on a roll today with making topics

Creating a vector file. What do ppl use to create vector files from lets say jpegs?

Corel is ok  (in my opinion)

Vector magic is good and simple to use

But is there a better program to make tracing a bitmap easy and with a result thats perfect?

Automatic tracing that's perfect?  From good clean bitmaps it's a snap!  From crappy low resolution scans with varicolored pixels mixed together - Auto tracing ain't gonna be pretty no matter what the software.  Manual tracing with the software of your choice will give you nice vector images.  It takes practice and is time consuming, but is a skill worth having.  I try to increase the resolution of the bitmap image - and cleanup edges I am trying to autotrace.  Than use node editing and manual adjustment of the vector paths to clean up and get a closer match to the bitmap.

Here are some programs I use - I am learning, but I am no whiz at vectorizing.

Photozoom 3 - to increase the resolution of a bitmap

Image Compressor 2008 Pro - Increase resolution and compress to lower file sizes

Inkscape

Vinyl Master Pro cutting program with some vector tools I like

Imagaro Professional Z - has bitmap tools to prepare the bitmap for better tracing - very good  autotracing and vector manipulation tools to make and cleanup the vector paths - and font identification module that's pretty handy.

All of these have capabilities I am just learning and vary from free (Inkscape) to pricey (Imagaro)

I think these are pretty good programs.  

I don't have Corel or Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator - I know these are great - somebody else can talk about their virtues.

-Mike