Sign in to follow this  
JP Auto N Design

Text outline gets distorted

HI All,

I've been using inkscape for a couple months now and i'm far from a pro at it but this is the first problem i've had that i couldn't figure out the solution to.

I put the text on a Ribbon arch (Effects>Generate from Path>Pattern along Path; Defrormation Type: Ribbon) and every time i try and outline the text, it shows up like it is shown in the image. I've tried every outline method i can think of; Linked offset, Dynamic offset, inset, outset, Duplicate>Stroke>Stroke to Path. All with the same result, a distorted outline. Now, if i retype the text and leave it straight (no arc), then the outline works perfectly. So if anyone has any idea what i'm missing here or doing wrong, i'd really appreciate it. Thanks Again

post-7587-12986555366435_thumb.png

post-7587-12986555379408_thumb.png

I can't follow the same process you have because my Inkscape doesn't seem to have those same commands, I guess it's a different version. So here's another take on how you can get a similar effect with arching text.  This is the way I do it.

Type your text

With your bezier tool draw a line underneath

Highlight both text and line Text>Put on path

Highlight path only, Path>Path effect editor>bend>add>edit-on-canvas (left hand button looks like node edit button)

Now you can bend your line and text however you like.  If I want a nice even arc I draw a circle/oval underneath and use that as a      guide and then delete it when I'm happy with the shape.

Duplicate text and offset, relign together and group text only then path>object to path

Now delete line and that should be it.

I hope that is of some help.  Good luck!

Hey sorry for the delay and Thank you for the replies.

Tinaski, your technique does work without the distortion the only problem is that since i have to arc each one seperately, meaning the yellow and the black, the 2 dont line up right. I use the same arc point for both but i just dont know why they dont match up when i put the 2 together.Is there a way to select both colors and arc them both at the same time?

Smee,I'm using ver. 4.7 and i have used your technique before but in this particular case, the arc method you were referring to wouldnt have given the same look the person was goin for. If you look closely at the image i posted only the tops and bottoms of the letters are curved and the sides of the letters remain completely vertical whereas the Text>Put on path method makes each individual letter completely turned on a slant. I hope that made sense lol. Like i said tho, i'm sorta new to this so theres a good chance i may be missing the way to make it work with either of your methods. I just wouldnt have thought something as simple as this outline woulda been such a pain because of a ribbon arc.

The way i ended up makin it work was duplicating the arced text, doing a stroke paint to the duplicate and before i did stroke to path to break it apart, i went under stroke style and down where it says dashes, i chose the one that looked like this _________  _____. I had to clean it up a bit but not NEARLY how much i would have had to in the image that i posted. Again, thank you for the responses and if anyone knows a way to outline this particular arc without what seems like alot of unnecessary work, or if i may have overlooked something in one of your posts, i'd appreciate it, thanks

on path -combine - union - copy paste - combine - outset - i think that is everything

I miss read your last message - do your arch - the union combine copy paste combine offset should be fine