ShadowHawk

iPhone - Vinyl "Death Grip" Protector

Hey Folks.

I dunno if anyone else here splurged and got the iPhone 4 or not... but I used my cutter to cut a 6mm x 90mm strip, with a 2mmx6mm oval cutout for the speaker - for the iPhone 4 edge.

For those not in the know on the iPhone 4 - if you hold it with your hand on the lower left corner (looking at the screen) - you MASSIVELY lose signal strength because that's the antenna placement.

Apple (and other OEM providers) want appx $20 for a rubber bumper to go around the phone - which does serve a purpose.. but I'm holding out for the OtterBox... so in the mean-time, I've cut vinyl from scrap to cover the metallic strip around the iphone, and it works great.  No signal loss, now when I grip the iPhone to talk.

(Maybe I should make a buck on those, huh? - haha)

Here's the prototype...  My next will be a full edge wrap.

IMAGE_098.jpg

Hawk - Richardson Tx

I did this myself with some clear over laminate.  I'm anxious to see what they have to say tomorrow.

I just bought a bumper, quick fix and looks nice.

But I am printing and designing iPhone 4 skins by the dozens. People can't get enough. Love my iPhone 4 :thumbsup:

since i dont have an iphone 4 i bought a replacement back for one off ebay so that i can make a template out of it to sell some decals to go on the back =D

Mader do you have any pictures of the iPhone skins that you have been producing? I checked your website, but I didn't see them.

If the back of the 4 is anything like my 3GS, can you make a WORM coming out of the Apple?

:thumbsup:

JOhn ><>

They just announced that today.  You can get a refund for ones that have already been purchased, and as soon as they get some cases in stock, they'll be giving them away.  Should be available to sign up for the freebie late next week.

weird..I heard they were giving away the bumpers day before yesterday...on a Mac podcast I listen to:

http://twit.tv/mbw

I hope the link stays up.

This isn't just common to the iPhone..I have an LG Vu that came with a print out telling you NOT to hold the phone a certain way. We didn't want the pull out antenna anymore..and now we pay the price.

I do have an iphone 4 and I havn't noticed the "death grip" yet. I have been using it for about 2 weeks. I have not purchased a case.

I am right handed though, and I don't use the phone much as an actual phone (calls) i pretty much just text and use the internet on it.

I am in the process of creating my own skins  :thumbsup:

i read apple cant make the bumpers quick enough so they are going to be giving away cases to make up for it.