Stuff4Toys

My first layering project.

My first shadow/layering project.  Now I have to figure out how to do outlining.  Every time I try using a Large then slightly smaller font, I have to streatch it out and it's still the same size?

Do You use a special FONT set for that?  sure could use some hints.

JOhn ><>

post-8472-12986555317395_thumb.png

post-8472-12986555333259_thumb.png

But a yellow sun on a white background will not show up as well. Maybe add bits of yellow inside the flames to get a true sense of heat and flame.

I originall had it shadowed with yellow and it looked cool, but then I got cheap and only did the one color.

lol, don't go cheap... Sometimes the little touches is what makes or breaks a design. I'd honestly go back and add them. It wouldn't cost very much at all to add the tiny pieces.

You did a good job!!! I agree with making it contrast a little more though. As for the outlining, what software are you using? I use Inkscape for designing and what I do is make the font just as you want it and then duplicate it and either "inset" or "outset" and change color. Often what I do is inset because outsetting has a tendency to make all the letters join or come real close to each other and it doesnt look as nice. Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

Hey that's great, just more little tricks to learn.

Here's another question, do you regularly merge the two layers and cut JUST the outline for the background and full for the top layer, or full cuts for both layers?

JOhn ><>

in my experience ive always done full cuts. so a solid piece beneath the top layer. i did one layered jobwhere i did JUST an outline and didnt line up the registration marks exactly and you could tell because there was either a super tiny sliver of light or paint that showed through or there was a sliver where the vinyl overlapped and it didnt look as nice as a full cut would have. so ever since then i wont do just a border. youre gunna use the same amlunt of vinyl either way so u might as well do a full cut on both in my opinion. the only reason i could think of to do just borders is if you have alot of layers on top of each other. you wouldnt want vinyl sticking out a mile. lol. hope this info helps and like i said this is only from my experiences

Makes perfect sense to me.  I have been walking up to peoples boats, cars, trucks and signs and feeling the lettering.  Hope no one's looking.  :thumbsup:

lmao. you migh wanna be carefull with that. lol. iwent to Hot Import Nights in Epping Nh just two weekends ago and did the same thing and set a car alarm off....lmfao. boy was that embarrassing.

if possible ,especially for larger stuff you should always have the underlying layers as a full image so you dont get the slight opening like the one guy was talking about. as for outlining it depends on what program you use. coreldraw it is called contour and AI you can do expand, same results pretty much but dif programs call it dif things

Thanks for all your input and the Inscape Inset function. 

Inkscape Ctrl+( & Ctrl+) will do inset and outset and as long as you don't get carried away seems to work real nice.

JOhn ><>

Yeah. If you go overboard with the inset you lose the actual letters but for one design I did for myself it actually produced something really cool. So play around with it thats all I did. :thumbsup: Hope everything ive said helps.