Sign in to follow this  
bbreault

Graphic Bubbling On Plastic

Hey everyone. So I recently did a couple of butterflies on a plastic gas tank of lil dirtbike for a friend. The first graphics I did bubbled up within a week. I used my Orange Peel cleaner/solvent to clean the surface and applied dry. Nogo. I thought "Well, the Orange Peel does have a oily feel to it, maybe I didnt wipe it dry good enough"....So I did another set of decals for it. I cleaned it with the orange peel, then my washed it with the homemade solution with rubbing alcohol and a very little bit of soap in water twice after that and made sure it was clean....THEN I wep applied it with rapid tac 2. And once again after a week, its bubbled up. I feel like such a jerk because it keeps bubbling and they seem kinda peeved about it. The only thing I can think of is the fact that its on a plastic tank....but it doesnt make sense because people apply vinyl to plastic all the time. Am I missing something? Do I not know something about applying to plastic that I should? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated because I have a person looking for some decals for moto x and I NEVER want that to happen to anyone, esp if its not a friend (and it shouldnt ever happen to a friend either). Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

thats what I was thinking, but I dont think they are even running it, which kinda puts that idea out the window I would think.

Even if there not running it I bet the gas soaks into the plastic to some degree

And if its a 2 stroke there is also oils mixed in the gas

Call a motorcycle shop and ask them if they use decals an tanks

I thought of that too. The whole gas soaking through but I didnt know if it could. Ill def call a shop and ask. Maybe they got a special cleaner or technique to applying to these kinds of surfaces. Thanks ;D

What happens is that over time the gasoline permeates the plastic.  There's not a whole lot you can do other than talk them into a new tank.

The decals they use from the factory & aftermarket are very thick & don't show the bubbles caused from the gas vapors coming thru ( reason the experts give for bubbles in regular vinyl ) . If you look at an aftermarket motorcycle suppliers catalog , they address this in the decal description .  Even the factory decals don't last that long . I am speaking of what I have experienced on my own dirtbikes . Oracal 651 decals do well on anything other than the plastic gas tank .

Its normal venting through the plastic from the gas fumes.  There is no way around it.  Most aftermarket kits have holes punched through the entire gas tank piece to allow for the vapors to escape without ruining the graphic. 

I race competitively all over the county and have been for 12 years so Ive seen a dirt bike gas tank or two.  I put my name on a quick dump gas can a few weeks ago, and just from it sitting during the week even with no gas in it, it still bubbled right up after 3 weeks.  I used oracal 651 on it.  Good luck.

Hmm. I never thought of painting it. Of course they said that they wanted a decal so I never thought to bring up paint. I might have to give that as an option because it would be a simple reverse weed too.

good to know. spoke to them today. they said they decided they didn want anything on the side after all. so....there you have it. i still feel like a jerk though for it happening in the first place.