Sign in to follow this  
Shrikezero

<insert witty headline>

Wow, I gotta say, I wish I'd found this place a year ago.

I work for a large sprawling hospital. When our in-house "sign guy" got himself removed, our director looked around and said "Hey, you know all that graphiky stuff! Congratulations, you're in charge of signs!"

So I find myself standing in a chaotic mess of an in-house sign shop. 20 year old engraver (Hermes Vanguard 7000). An 8-inch tractor-fed cutter (Max CM200E) which is meant for scrapbooking, not commercial use. Don't even get me started on the immense piles of old signs, and even older scrap material, precariously stacked around the shop. Although the stacks did give the shop this sort of wizard's workshop feel. Our campus has no less than 7 different sign systems (and I use system in the very loosest of definitions) and 17 buildings, towers, parking structures.

My overarching task is to take all of this and turn it into a modern shop that can handle the old systems and the fancy new system that will replace them all some day.

Overwhelmed much?

So over the last year, I've given myself a crash course in all aspects of sign-making and the tools of the trade. Engraving, vinyl cutting, large format printing, laminating, adhesives, lions, tigers, and bears, oh my! Scrounging info off of everyone I knew who was even vaguely involved with signs. Searching endlessly for info on the internet. Hours spent trying to discern fact from fiction on vendor/manufacturer websites.

The single best thing I've found are these forums. I've learned more in the last couple months here, than I have all year. Special shout-out to CRD - Paco. His New Bie guide is a must for anyone new to cutters.  http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,17489.0.html

I also wish I could go back and buy my new cutter (Pcut CR730) from US Cutter. I bought from one of the other companies and have had nothing but trouble with support. (I'm betting most of you could guess which company)

So that's the long winded intro.

Hi! Nice place you got here. Where do you keep the coffee?

Mark

Sounds like you gotta a whole lot of fun in front of you! 

G'day :thumbsup: :thumbsup: