Sign in to follow this  
bbreault

Etching Glassware Question

Hey everyone. So ive been doing some mirrors and glass panels and those are easy because they are flat but I tried I glass from the dollar store just because I thought it would be cool and the vinyl I used as a mask(651) doesnt like to conform to the compound curves(I know its not meant to) but I was wondering how others are masking off glasses and glassware. Im interested if people mask the entire item or not, with what, etc. Id really like to get into it but dont really know how to go about doing it. Thanks in advance. ;D

I have recently got into sandblasting mugs etc . I have blasted a 16oz mug with all sorts of compond curves/ridges with no problems . It was warm/hot that day & that is most likely a key issue . If in an air conditioned room , I would put difficult stuff outside with the decal before I tried to apply . I use masking tape around the decal to make sure no over blasting, but with the low air pressure I use , not really needed .

You will not be able to do any really complex curved items. Like a round fish bowl unless you do small sections of lettering or design. I use vinyl for my resist and then either masking tape or app tape to cover what i don't want blasted or scratched. Any handles on mugs and such, I use a piece of paper with the edges taped down for protection.

see I didnt know if there was some kind of like cast vinyl that we could use to make it so we could go around complex curves beter. Guess not. Ill have to find a way to get around it

ok. ive wanted to get into champange glasses and stuff so i really need to kno how to get around these compound curves......anyone? those with experience please enlighten me!! lol

Paint mask is far better than vinyl for curves & Contours.

Joe

does it cut like vinyl? and can it resist sandblasting as well as vinyl? if so im def going to invest in some.

on flutes just try to stay toward the upper part of the curve. why don't you just play with it a bitl. You don't have to blast just practice on applying the resist. Practice is how you learn and get better. Just know if you get a fold in the resist the sand will find it's way in. Also be careful stretching the vinyl when you put it on or it will distort your graphic.

Another thing to note is that not all glassware is created equal....... if you are careful in which stemware you purchase, you can definitely make this work.  Some stemware has straighter sides than others.  Something else that sometimes helps is to make a small cut from the outer edge of the vinyl towards the design in order to get it to contour to the curve.  Be sure not to cut too far, and to cover the cut with masking tape once your vinyl is adhered to the glassware, or you'll end up blasting any exposed area of the cut as well as your design.