Sign in to follow this  
orbitgrfx

Reg marks for cutting multiple decals

Oftentimes, I have a cut job of multiple decals from a roll of vinyl. For the sake of discussion, these decals are within a 4" x 4" tile, for packaged RTA.

Is there an easy way to set registration marks for cutting purposes? A hairline between the decal would be great, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Using your 4" square for describing how I do this.  Draw a box around the graphic at 4" square. Then duplicate it and space the duplicates say, 4.1" apart enough times to fill the width of the vinyl and enough rows to make as many as you want.  When you cut the boxes can be weeded away and the .1" spaces between the boxes will be left for you to use as cut lines with a paper cutter or scissors.  You can reduce the .1"  to something less, that's just what I find convenient.

You can also just send it to the cutter module in SBE set it to make the number of copies you want and click on weed each copy and weed all and adjust the spacing beside weed all to make the size box you want - I think it cuts without space between the boxes - so you would have to remove the waste and cut around the remaining vinyl - and weed one box - trim it at the edge of the next box and so forth -- then you would have to mask them one at a time.  If there is a way to make SBE leave a grid behind for trimming I would like to know how to do it as well.

-Mike

Yeah Mike, I was trying to figure out a grid pattern for the cutting/separating decals. I've been using the checkboxes in SBE....weed all, ect, but will have to trim 1 at a time in order to get them closer to the same size. Your method is what I've been doing, but am unhappy with the results.....all decals are of different sizes, and takes alot of trimming.

Perhaps a guillotine cutter would help.

Yeah a guillotine cutter is what I use.  The method in the first paragraph will give you a grid pattern.  If you are cutting different graphics in the same operation here is what I would do:  Make a grid of squares in your workspace.  If 4" squares will work for all the different designs make the grid from 4" squares spaced at your desired separation (I use .1")  Then just select a graphic and one of the squares and center the graphic in that square.  Continue until you have all the graphics you want to cut lined up in squares in the grid and send to the cutter.  Weed -- leaving the grid framework in place and mask the whole shebang -- trim with scissors or the guillotine cutter.

I'm going to bed now my brain is sore.

-Mike