Sign in to follow this  
splash0321

tool for cutting custom vinyl widths off rolls

Is there a tool for cutting down vinyl into custom widths? I can get oracal to do this but its 6-8$ for each cut. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

i clicked the link....had to register....registered and the link still only puts me at the main page....can you point me in the right direction? thanks

id be interested in that tool.....the cut edges have to be clean enough to actually apply to a substrate...I dont think a miter saw would cut the edges clean enough

I've used a hacksaw with pretty good results. Encircle the roll with a strip of painters tape and saw.

A friend said he saw a home made cutter on the net somewhere. That way he could cut down 48" vinyl to whatever width he wanted just by cranking a handle.

Ill have to ask him where he saw it.

im in the process of designing one for myself....i will upload the plans for it when i've perfected it.

if you can set up a roll of vinyl even in your roller and had a had cutting strip underneath then you could up the pressure and cut it all the way through and just have it cut a straight light all the way down it

You might be able to create a custom cutter like an 'ol fashioned miter box, otherwise a band saw should work pretty well.

i cut mine very carefully with a ofla knife all the way out and just roll the tube on the table, Works pretty good and makes a straight cut.

I've watched vinyl fabric rolls cut down while spooling to shorter center tubes using a powered knife akin to a meat slicing blade, left a very clean edge.