SandyM114

first rhinestone shirt

I've bought rhinestone transfers to press before, but this was my first to do myself. The lettering is thermoflex plus, and I just sprinkled a couple of rhinestones on each letter for a little bling.  I didn't make a template for this first design, but went back into the software (sbe) and added the rhinestones for the next shirts.  This is fun stuff! Sandy

post-3822-12986555035305_thumb.jpg

post-3822-12986555055763_thumb.jpg

Thank you, Mike. lol  I always thought msmith was female....I was reading it MsSmith for some reason.  Sandy

Nice job. How did you get the stones to stay in place while you pressed? I've been doing a little research and wanting to try it myself....Jon

I placed the rhinestones in 2 different ways on these 2 shirts. The gray shirt I placed the rhinestones on the shirt where I wanted them and laid a piece of the hotfix clear tape on top and smoothed it over the stones to hold the stones good. Then I peeled it off carefully. I then just laid my shirt on the heat press and pressed the stones on.  The white shirt I by-passed the hotfix tape completely. I just laid my lettered shirt on the heat press and used tweezers to place the stones, then pressed it.  I'm sure there are easier ways, but I haven't found them as yet. Sandy

Great job!  I've made dozens of rhinestone shirts for the moms at dance - with their kids' names on the back, etc.... I'm making a few this weekend and will post a pic.  I use thermoflex to do the outline, say.... "Britt's Mom" (I outline the letters in vinyl and put the rhinestones in the middle).  I found the easiest way for me was to put the shirt on an acrylic board that I can use to carry the shirt over to the press (I hate working on the press itself for so many stones).  Then I place each stone - and move the shirt over to the press -- carefully sliding the board out from underneath it.  I CAREFULLY put my teflon sheet over it and press.  I've NEVER screwed up a shirt that way yet.  I did make a few errors when trying to put tape over the stones. 

I rhinestoned my daughter's dance costumes -- $100 in stones on her hiphop costume -- it's CRAZY.... and at the last competition, one of the judges said "wow, that shirt is awesome"... made it worth it!!

On the acryllic shirt board, where do I find that? Would a cutting board possiblywork? I think I've seen some acryllic type ones... I'd love to see the pic of the shirts you did for the dance moms also.

Also, I bought a plain jane mouse pad tonight and want to decorate it, no rhinestones this time...lol  I want it to look like zebra with a name over it. Would I use heat press vinyl or just regular vinyl? I wasn't sure if it would melt on a heat press. Anyone know? Thanks for the info. Sandy

Sandy your not the first that read it wrong..lol  And The heat press won't hurt the mousepads, I ve done some myself..

Mike

Thanks for the reply,  Mike!  I did do the mouse pad, and it turned out great! I cut a zebra print in silver, put that on a black mousepad, then put her name in script on top of the zebra. It probably won't hold up long, but she was proud of it. She just got her first laptop and "needed" a custom mousepad for college.lol