Sign in to follow this  
SpareParts

R Tape Clear Conform - Wet Application??

I have read both that R Tape Clear Conform (AT-42) is great for wet application or vinyl and also that it should not be used for wet application. Does anyone know for sure which is correct? I sent an e-mail to the manufacturer, but have yet to hear back from them.

I never,ever use clear for wet. The fluid must be able to penetrate the tape.

because if it doesn't, it will stay right there under the vinyl,with no place to go. You have to get the fluid OUT for the vinyl to stick.

I have used this tape before for wet applications and the liquid is just squeegeed to the edges and out and then dries fine. Is that not enough?

Don't mean to be a pain, just want to learn.

If you leave room at the edges for it to go,that's fine. If the edges stick down, no go. I just don't take chances...and the paper tape is cheaper anyway.

I see. I always spray the whole area I will be applying to and occasionally the back of the decal itself, so I have never had a problem with the edges sticking down and not letting the liquid out. I see your point though and appreciate the information.

My only real concern with the R-Tape is that during a wet application the adhesive on the tape seems to seperate from the sheet as it dries. I do not know if this is a real problem or not though. The tape peels away clean and easy and brings all the seperated adhesive with it.  :thumbsup: