Sign in to follow this  
john!

Sandblasting Glass, Gauging Interest

Alright everyone, What all do i need to buy to get into blasting glasses, windows and other glassware with?

What's the process i need to learn to be able to do this?

What is the durability of it? (glasses, windows etc)

Also, do you need to do it outdoors or can you do it indoors? (totally clueless about how messy it can be)

I'm looking to expand my services and don't know of ANYONE locally who does this.

Thanks!

Guest debogus

Cabinet  and a presure pot instead of the siphon gun .

More control and can use a smaller compresser.

On glass you can just use cheap calendered vinyl and get pretty good depth.

How do you do a design that's etched and a design that's clear but everything around etched?

What kind of "gun" do i need and what nozzles and all?

How are you guys pricing the jobs? I'm thinking of doing custom glasses for people and nick nac shops since i live in a hobbyist town which loves things like that.

Also, since room for a cabinet may be tight until i get a bigger area, Could i use Armour Etch which i am seeing alot do on youtube? Not sure on the durability though.

it's a personal thing, I like the real etching better than the armour etch look

There are some pretty long threads around here that have a lot of good information regarding the difference between siphon and pressure pot, cabinets, etc.

Even with a cabinet, you are going to get dust outside of it, due to the fact that you are filling the cabinet up with 60psi air, its going to blow out of the cracks and vent holes.  I wouldn't do it anywhere you need very clean, unless you get a dust collection system set up.

I don't do a lot, but when I do, I price it T+M.  There is no real standard that I know of, and it's not widely done to get a baseline cost.  It takes some time to cut, weed, apply, then mask off the whole rest of the piece (I use cheap paper app tape) to keep it from getting scratched.  Then you blast, and remove all the masking and vinyl, taking care again to not scratch it.

IMO, Armour Etch always looks blotchy, whereas blasting creates an even frost.  Plus its expensive.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

I didn't know the area would have to be real messy you do it in or i would have already bought the machines. I'll have to wait on this one i think.

Great info Mr.Peabody Thumbsup

hey Joe,

No problem, I've done a little SB, I used the cabinet where I use to work. I didn't have a cutter back then, I used vinyl shelf liner and cut the designs by hand. Boy I really wish I had that cabinet.

The forum is really good, great advise from the users there.

Peabody