zx360

just started sandblasting...

7"x7" mirror, sandblasted from the back and painted an off white.

This was just for my personal testing/ use not planning on selling it or breaking copyrights, just playing..

35669_451815208832_183874263832_5818109_6389032_n.jpg

35669_451815213832_183874263832_5818110_2077205_n.jpg

Curious what people would get for pieces like this? ive already had someone ask after seeing a picture. No idea how to price these, any suggestions.

Also, did 2 candle holders the GF wanted. Also need pricing help on these? i need to do more work on them because im not 100% happy with them.

(hard to see sorry.)

36887_451936223832_183874263832_5821816_7494056_n.jpg

36887_451936228832_183874263832_5821817_6437761_n.jpg

36887_451936238832_183874263832_5821819_2812596_n.jpg

36887_451936248832_183874263832_5821821_7993715_n.jpg

36887_451936263832_183874263832_5821824_1830485_n.jpg

Comments welcome.

Do you actually sandblast or use an etching solution?  If you use sand, what type.  We have a blast cabinet in the shop. I was thinking about giving it a try.

i sandblasted it, no idea what sand it was though, just what was in our sandblaster already. Its a pretty soft sand though

I think you need a better graphic. Is that grapes and vine?

All I have sold so far are etchings on provided glassware. I charge $7.50 per etching and they have to provide extra glasses in case of mishaps. My last job was 34 mugs with etched names for a wedding. They loved them.

Heidi

thanks, yes it was grapes on a vine... these are simply tests to experiment as ive had some requests and wanted to experiment before saying yes to people.

i sandblasted it, no idea what sand it was though, just what was in our sandblaster already. Its a pretty soft sand though

Is it a regular industrial type sandblaster or one of those mini sand blasters they sometimes use for glass.  Kind of looks like an airbrush.  I'll bet soda blasting media would work well.  It's very fine and would leave a nice satin finish.

Guest kenya

The mirror is awesome..... great blastings.  :thumbsup:;D

Guest manwayvan

Very Nice..Big Fan of Saloon Style Pieces..If/When/Ever I get my garage dont think there wont be a huge ass Jack Daniels Mirror hangin..lol

Thanks guys

Is it a regular industrial type sandblaster or one of those mini sand blasters they sometimes use for glass.  Kind of looks like an airbrush.  I'll bet soda blasting media would work well.  It's very fine and would leave a nice satin finish.

its an industrial my dad uses for car parts, not HUGE, but big enough

I love that mirror!!! I actually did some blasting for the first time last night. Ill post pics later. What kind of vinyl did you use? Did you use just some regualr vinyl or the actual sandblast vinyl? I did mine last night with the greenstar stuff I have and I noticed that even though it was covered with vinyl there were still little specks where sand must have got through. Did you have this? One last question. You blasted the design and painted only the blasted part? Curious because it looks awesome painted as compared to "frosted" in my opinion.

Thanks for the comments. I used some scrap 3m controltac. Probably not the best but it worked and was just scraps so i thought it was fine.

I painted the back while it was still masked. and then later painted it all black from behind so that you cant see the design from the back to much.

I liked both the frosted and the painted, i have a few requests already for frosted stuff :thumbsup:

Your mirror looks a lot better than my first attempt at etching.

I did a lot of practicing and last Christmas (2009) I etched a badge into a mug as a example and took it to the local police dept. I thought I would get 10 or so orders, I ended up with 45. I charged $10.00 each and got the mugs at the dollar tree. That was about 200 mugs ago.

Since December I have purchased another cabnet and a Rayzist masking system. I use the Rayzist film for the front and vinyl for the backs (personalised). I still charge $10.00 for the mugs (single side) in orders over 10 and $15.00 each if they want something on the back. For less than 10 its $15.00 and $20.00.

I still use 651 vinyl for a lot of my projects, however in big orders the Rayzist film cut the time to produce masks from hours to minutes. Its a lot more expensive (about $1.50 per mug depending on the size) but the time saving is worth it for me.

Other things I have etched are wine bottles, plates, cups, aluminum water bottles, picture frame glass. Places I have gotten orders from include Police/Fire/EMS, Gun Club (awards), Local wedding and Limo Service, Caterers and gift shops (candle holders).

I am currently using a sand to etch but am switching over to Aluminum Oxide soon. With the sand the chip (cut) is large and rough. The 150/220 Aluminum Oxide will give a more frosted finish.

There is a lot of good information from others else where on this site about sandblasting/etching. I have read it all and it helped me a lot get started.

Hope this helps, I am learning everyday and can really use new ideas.

Tom.

thanks a ton tom, gives me some ideas what to charge too. I have a few people already wanting mirrors and things.  :thumbsup:;D

means that the image was sand blasted and color added from behind so the face of the mirror was smooth.