Sign in to follow this  
bbreault

How to make a mirror?

Hey everyone. I would like to know how people here make mirrors. Is it a special vinyl or are people using silver nitrate?

The majority of the people just purchase from a mirror and glass company then etch/sandblast.

Mike

cool. good to know. I looked up how to mirror using the silver nitrate process and it isnt that hard but uses hazardous materials and I like to stay far away from that kind of stuff as much as I can but I really wanted to try an etched mirror. Thanks for the info. Is there any particular place that people are buying mirror blanks from?

Personally I just bought a few from a craft store just for practice purposes. Id think you would wanna buy the better stuff from a Glass and Mirror Company for customers. The craft store mirror aren't the greatest quality but are fairly inexpensive for practicing on.

Mike

I actually started by picking up mirrors and glass from st. vincent de paul here. Pick em up cheap so no worries with trial and error. I personally perfer them etched from the backside. Takes a bit more to get through the mirroring but you don't get the reflection. Make sure you etch and keep samples to show customers of the same simple design done both ways. My samples are of grapes on a vine.

Heidi

I worked for a glass shop back in the day and they throw away the scarps. Stop by, tell them what you do and ask for scraps, make them a couple of free ones and you might end up picking up some business  :thumbsup: