Sign in to follow this  
Brian Wallis

Another nuuub

Hello, I just decided to get into vinyl cutting etc. I'm looking at the mh 50 in cutter. I've never done this. I have a Mac. If anybody is feeling like they have 2 min to spare, I'd love to talk to somebody. I was looking at the business combo. Thanks

Brian

four oh four, four oh five, one three one five.

Welcome from illinois - sorry not too good with macs - not much help there - what are you designing in and what software are you cutting in - what questions do you have - I don't mind helping as much as I can. If you want send me a message

Ah! the !0th Mtn Div. I was in A co 2-10 AVN VOODOO when I was there crewing Blackhawks. I like the patch. I'm looking at the 50 inch MH series for the cutter and maybe the business package to get started. I'm a renewable energy powered aircraft mechanic and I pull a 5x10 trailer. It's going to cost a bunch to vinyl up my trailer so I though... maybe I'll spend just a little extra and just buy the machine and do it myself and then expand! I always have customers with faded stickers and logos and placards....  I'm not looking to get super crazy but I love doing new things! I've got a MacBook and I'm looking for the education really. I'd love to spoof some logos!!!!  A bunch of guys are painting their aircraft all white and then just doing vinyl.

Best

Brian Wallis

ya cool i was 2/8th light inf. Commo

i was there for about 2.5 years - spent alot of time in the field as well at trainning up and down the east cost

i spent 4 months in Haiti durring its conflict in the 90s

Thanks for the welcome. Learning a ton by reading! I wonder why the gentleman who wrote an intro to new folks said stay away from the MH series... Something about circuit boards...? I'm looking at the 50" cutter because I'll be doing the vinyl on aircraft... I'm an Aircraft mech by trade and I see plenty of opportunity there... I wish US cutter had a phone number to order with instead of a chat line. Maybe I missed it. Whoever did the firefighter sign on the mirror... Nice! If anybody has any suggestions, or maybe a book they can suggest.. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Brian

Both are Budget Machines and will require more set up and fiddling than brand name machines.  Either is good for starting up with enough patience

Hello! Thanks for the warm greeting. I'm really pulling in a lot of info. If anybody has a Mac and a MH series or a Laser point... specifically the larger ones, please feel free to email me. I'm getting closer to pull the trigger on this thing. The business deal looks pretty good so far... I'm hoping to get something that won't require a bunch of nit picky stuff. I run windows through Fusion on my Mac but I don't think I have enough memory to support it. I also airbrush so I'm hoping to cut some really cool masks for my airbrush stuff. Mention was made about the MH series... I'm wondering if I should get a name brand machine, Copam?.... or what they are. I also need to figure out what the contour feature is....

Best

Brian Wallis

Welcome from "Down Under" Brian.  For what you are looking to do, I would buy a better quality cutter.  Look at either a Graphtec or a Roland, you'll have a lot less hassles and be so glad you did further down the track.  If a new machine is out of your price range, have a look at secondhand machines.

Joe

I have 2 refines..never a problem with either of them

That being said...if I had the money to spare, I'd go for a Graphtec..or at least a Copam.

If money is tight, the refine will probably pay for itself and make you enough money to buy the graphtec..in a very short time. Keep the refine for back-up. Even graphtecs tear up.

Hooray! Life is good. Levi helped out quite a bit. After 2 calls to CS, I got this thing cutting. Today was the first official job, it was not glamorous, but bidding sign work at .20 cents a square inch including transfer tape.... was enough to win a contract labeling trash cans for specific departments in a bank. Couple bucks in the pocket!!!!! Now..... if I can just figure out how to import graphics and stretch and move lettering........

Best

Brian