Sign in to follow this  
gogetemgraphix

2 COLOR CUTTING

ok, i tried following the instuctions for the two color sticker.....with no success.  :notsure: what i am wanting to do is cut a 92 in the Hankyshadow font in two colors. when i put the 92 in inkscape and open the trace window, i don't know which item to select and i don't have an update button...that i saw  lol and i can't get it to do anything that way.  in the past i have just cut it twice and reversed the weeding, which tends to waste some vinyl at times and i have found the cutter doesn't cut the same twice which leaves a hairline between the colors. i figure i need to learn to do it the right way and i have time now that things are slow.  can someone help me please.....

thank you

lue anne

I'm not following what you are saying.  How many objects do you have on the screen and what are they?  If you typed the 92 in inkscape then it is a font, not a bitmap so it doesn't need to be traced. 

I'm thinking that you want the number 92 in lets just say Red with a Black outline then layer the red on to the black?

When you import the eps into your cutting program there should be a place to select which color you want to cut.  Pick one, cut it, Pick the other and cut it.  In Signcut there will be color boxes along the upper right side of the screen.  Click the color you want to cut.  I uninstalled Signblazer so I can't look to see what it has. 

Don't forget to make yourself some kind of registration marks so you can get the colors to line up when you layer them.

:thumbsup:  registration marks is one of my many problems...lol  i do not understand those at all  :lol:  please have some patience with me.... here is my font so you can tell me exactly what to do so i can learn this.

i use signcut

thanks

lue anne

HANKSI__.zip

HANKSI__.zip

OH, that is different.  You want the shadow in gold and the inside in black.  Like this?

post-767-12986514191813_thumb.jpg

post-767-1298651420163_thumb.jpg

if i got them separated couldn't i just set the black on top without using registration marks?  but i still need to know how to do that regardless.

Ok, not too hard to do... harder to explain.  You want directions in Inkscape or Corel?

Attached is an eps with registration marks (square with a circle cut in the middle).  The black and gold registration marks are stacked on top of each other so you can only see one color but both will cut.  Cut both colors then align the squares on top of each other to get them lined up when you layer the vinyl.

You don't have to use registration marks but it sure is easier to align the layers with them.

I'll type up a walk through later tonight on how I did that.  Quittin' time, dinner time!

92.eps

92.eps

:thanks:  i use both but for numbers i use inkscape because i can save it in eps form, so probably inkscape directions....corel tends to get a little more complicated for me....right now anyway.  lol

i plan on cutting the background in gold chrome and cutting the #'s in diffracto black...i think that will look pretty awesome..... :notsure:  lol

thanks

lue anne

Inkscape Directions:

Type your number, size it and select it.

Click PATH > Object to Path to convert the font to a curve

With the text still selected Click PATH > Break Apart

Everything turns black

Click on the bottom of the 9 and change the color

Click on the bottom of the 2 and change the color

Now you should have your outline color done

Click in the middle of the 9 where the hole is to select it,

Hold down the shift key and select the black in the 9.

Now click PATH >Difference

That should cut out the hole in the 9 so the gold shows through.

If you want, you can select the yellow in the 9 and the 2 and

weld them together using PATH >Union

Do the same for the Black.  Thats it.

I cut each color seperately using regisistration marks.

Sent the regisistration marks about 1 inch higher than the

highest point of the graphic.

Then cut seperately

Use wet app to get them correctly lined up.

Done.

mark-s

Yeah, you import the resulting eps into your cutting program and cut each color seperately then align them using the registration marks.  Wet is really best so you have some time to do some fine tuning.

The above proceedure is kind of specific for the particular type of font Lue Anne selected to use.  As it was, you could only color the shadow because the inside of that font is hollow.  So you have to break it apart to get all the pieces back to color them.

I have a 2 color cutting question.  Let's use the afore mentioned 92 that has a gold background and a black foreground.  When I try to do this, I have to cut complete graphics, ie.  2 92's one in black and one in gold, then align them and squeegie the heck out of them.  My question is, is there a way to only cut the visible gold, as to not create a thick graphic. 

Crash

You can trim out the black and fit the gold inside instead of on top. 

Problem is,

#1 getting it aligned EXACTLY right and

#2 when you do get it aligned exactly right, vinyl shrinks over time... rather quickly actually.  Your perfect alignment will pull apart and there will end up being a gap between the gold and black.

You could draw the graphic to overlap the edges but that doesn't guarantee that you still won't have too much shrinkage.  At least this is my experience with it.

ok, here i go again.... :lol:  when i put my gold and black 92 in signcut and i select the gold to cut at 20"tall , when i go to cut the black to put inside the gold ....what do i cut that at for inches? is it still 20 or do i need to reduce it and to what?

thanks

lue anne

It should be automatic....just the way you see it....it should cut the same....

mark-s

You need to make the whole image 20" (probably before you import it into signcut actually)  Then just cut it, should come out right without specifying a size.  Signcut isn't really a great program for anything but cutting.  I don't mess with my graphics in signcut, I have them sized and ready before I import.

i have never sized them before importing, i have always put the sizes in in signcut. i will try it and if i can't figure it out....i'll be back...... :lol:

lue anne