Sign in to follow this  
SpareParts

Roland CutStudio and Inkscape??

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and very glad to have found it.

I have Roland's CutStudio and for the most part I like it quite a bit. It is simple and very easy to use. The trouble I have is that I do not have another program such as CS4 for making vector files. I have Paint. Yeah, that's right plain old Microsoft Paint which does not do .eps files. While it is nice for making simple proofs, it is extreamly limited. I would like to be able to do a little more. Does anyone know if InkScape will work with CutStudio? The only real trouble I have with CutStudio is that it will only open certain .eps files. Many times I get a bad format error when trying to open an .eps file. I have never been able to figure out why some will open and most will not. Right now I simply drawn whatever I need "by hand" in CutStudio. I would LOVE to find a program that I can make .eps files in that will then open in CutStudio. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Yeah, someone I know is having problems importing Inkscape made files into Roland's SignMate software.  It works for SignBlazer but apparently not for SignMate.  It sounds like there are different versions of .eps files which is so annoying.

Someone gave me a .eps files made from a new version of Illustrator and it won't import into SignBlazer correctly.  Its driving me nuts that everything can't just be compatible.  Does anyone know a solution to this?

You are expecting too much from (outdated) FREE software....  (Meaning Signblazer).   If you want newer versions, and updated,  try Flexipro 8.6 for around  $4200.    Or even Flexistarter8.6  for $99, just the basics.  Which is what I use.  It imports alot more file formats. then alot of other software.   Sorry, but you are commenting about FREE software.  If it doesn't fill your needs, then purchase what you need. Everybodys needs are different. Depending  on machine and uses of equipment.  Alot of people on here also use Illy and Corel also for their needs.  Some people use just inkscape and Flexistarter... that works great together,  but in this world , there are new versions all the time.  It is expected to be updated and better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FlexiSIGN-PRO-8-6v2-Windows-Mac-NEW-/280487839427?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414e60c6c3

Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator, both have plug-ins for Cut Studio, both can handle .eps files.

I would suggest  looking for an older version of Illustrator.

I am having the same issue. I am thinking there are ways around it but I may be better off getting Adobe illustrator or Corel Draw as Dylan suggested. If anyone knows a free program for now that saves in eps that is compatible please let me know. The weird thing with inkscape is it saves eps. but cutstudio does not open it ..It says bad format. That is even more confusing. I am just trying to vector without doing it all freehand which I have been doing also..any help appreciated. Sorry to jump in on your post :ph34r: but if I come up with anything I will let you know as well ;D

The last post was in 2010 so I don't think anyone will be upset at your intrusion. LOL I don't work with Inkscape much but there are some on the forum who are more versed in it and possible have a solution. I'm a little surprised that Roland cut studio can't take an svg file. I assume you have tried several different formats such as "Plain svg" and pdf etc.