Sign in to follow this  
c4l3b

Bait and switch with heat transfer?

I got a siser easyweed sample from UScutter and liked it. Went to Ebay and got a 5 yard roll of it from someone. Compare these two shirts.... something is goofy here.

the siser sample that I got from US cutter seems to have melted into the threads and looks almost like a silk screen. It looks durable and feels good. This stuff I got on ebay is smooth to the touch and seems like it is going to peel off before too long. The edges actually peeled a little bit when I removed the backing.

Did I get bad stuff or is this possibly just a time/temp issue? (both shirts were made with the same time/temp on the same machine, the same night).siser.JPG

to clarify, I liked the one I got from US cutter. The ebay seller was not US cutter.

I have used a couple different heat transfer vinyls and like you I prefer the siser. When I press siser the backing sheet usually comes up when I lift the press and I love that. Some cheaper stuff I tried you have to wait for the garment to cool before you can pull the backing off and then it does not melt into the shirt like siser does.

I will probably be sticking with Siser. I get mine from www.alpinesignsupply.com His is $32 per roll and $10 shipping for 3-4 rolls.

I guess I wasn't clear enough... they were BOTH supposed to be siser easyweed.  The smooth came from specialty graphics and the rough came from US cutter.  What is going on? Who's got the real stuff?

I have used a couple different heat transfer vinyls and like you I prefer the siser. When I press siser the backing sheet usually comes up when I lift the press and I love that.

I sure wished the siser easy weed I bought did that. Several times I have to re-press and let it cool or the backing sheet will lift the corners.

Sounds like your backing is less sticky than mine. And that can be a good thing.

The siser I got from UScutter pressed well, and the backing came right off. I wish I knew what the difference was, I'd only order that one.

I bought mine from Specialty Graphics.  I was told that Siser had some defective lots floating around.

Anyone got anything specific on defective Siser?  Got some from SW and it acts like the "Bad Stuff" the original poster talked about.....

Here's my email conversation with them.

Caleb,

We receive our EasyWeed straight from Siser.  There are several brands that carry a line called EasyWeed or some variation of that name.  Also when applying the materials if you were to apply more pressure on one run compared to the other you would get the effect of the threads showing through.

--

Grant Smith

888-330-6172 x304

www.specialty-graphics.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Caleb Kraft" <info@thebrickroomonline.com>

To: <emailsgs@specialty-graphics.com>

Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 3:11 PM

Subject: Contact Specialty Graphics Supply

Caleb Kraft (info@thebrickroomonline.com)

sent a comment on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 at 16:11:25

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name:  Caleb Kraft

Email:  info@thebrickroomonline.com

Phone#:  417-894-9497

Comment: I ordered some Siser Easyweed from you recently. It is turning out peculiarly. It is quite different than the siser Easyweed I had received elsewhere. You can see the two in this picture:

http://www.calebkraft.com/siser.JPG

the one where you can see the threads is the old, the smooth is yours. It really seems like an impostor or something. I don't expect any kind of compensation, but you might want to check your stock to make sure it is good stuff. I know I'll not be using the remainder of this roll.

-thanks for your time,

Caleb

-----------------------  I've since then boosted the heat and the pressure and it is sticking OK. Either they aren't getting legit siser easyweed or the sample I got from UScutter wasn't legit. Either way, I want whatever the sample was, so I've ordered a roll from US cutter. I'll test it and see when I get it!

Guest manwayvan

Damn tinaski thats alot of siser..I bet it gets expensive trying to stock multiple colors like that

Just playing around with it, 375degrees for 20 seconds as hard as the pressure goes seems to set it pretty well.(instead of 302 for 15 as recommended) It ends up in between the two examples shown above.

It won't go to waste. Only time will tell which one lasts longer.

I have used a couple different heat transfer vinyls and like you I prefer the siser. When I press siser the backing sheet usually comes up when I lift the press and I love that. Some cheaper stuff I tried you have to wait for the garment to cool before you can pull the backing off and then it does not melt into the shirt like siser does.

I will probably be sticking with Siser. I get mine from www.alpinesignsupply.com His is $32 per roll and $10 shipping for 3-4 rolls.

+1

Guest fivestar

What heat press are you using and have you used an infared thermometer to be sure the top platen is consistant with heat?  Have you also tried your US Cutter bought Easy Weed since trying the other Easy Weed?

I have the cheapo 15x15 from powerheatpress.com. I don't have an infrared thermometer. The sample of siser from USCutter melted great. This siser does not, though I guess it is acceptable if I'm more aggressive with it.

I've ordered a roll of siser from USCutter now to compare.

The last email I got from Grant was they had a list of lot numbers of defective vinyl. However when I sent him my lot number he said it was not on his list. But it could be he needed a updated list from Siser.

I emailed Siser and she told me she received my vinyl for inspection. What? I never sent it back to "anyone". Was never told when to send it back.

I finally gave up on them and tried 5 more shirts last Sunday to see if it could be me. Same thing. But letting the shirt cool seems to be working.

I did wash and dry one shirt and so far so good.

But is it going to fall off down the road?

I just started using siser easyweed but isn't it suppose to be smooth? and not take on the texture of the fabric? Is that a cotton shirt you used it on seems like a textured weave..MB

So far mine are smooth. I just did 16 shirts. 4 different colors of easyweed.

Im using Gildan t-shirts.

Well I believe I have some ground to stand on now about the white I have is bad. I just did 2 different blues and a violet.

And they all three was a dream to apply. The release film just fell off.

Now I know this white has got to be defective. Dammit!

Guest manwayvan

The white did have some major problems...I got a roll of the bad stuff but it looked like it has been heated and melted..No issue with it pressing though

I just got a email back from Siser after giving them my lot number and they said it was a bad lot.

So they are replacing my roll.

If it is as good as this blue I just press then I am going to be a happy camper.

What a hell of a way for a beginner to start out. :D