Sign in to follow this  
DarkSideofOZ

How to connect to Win 7 ultimate 64bit?

I just bought a 40" Refine MH1101 cutter, from its original owner purchased back in 2005, he used it maybe 10 times. 

I have an Intel Core i7 920 system, 6gb ddr3 ram, running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. My mother board has no Serial or Parallel ports so I went and bought this (http://inlandproduct.com/prousb-parallelconverterieee1to1-08305.aspx) "Pro Usb-Parallel Converter."  I haven't the slightest how to get Windows, signblazer, inkscape, or Artcut to recognize or install the cutter drivers. It shows up as "IEEE-1284 Controller" under (Devices and Printers). 

Also under "Programs and Features" there are 2 listed drivers called: "Windows Driver Package - FTDI CDM Driver Package (10/22/2009 2.06.00)"  if that helps

Heck, even signblazer didn't have the MH1101 listed as one of the cutters during installation, just the other 3 MH series ones.

Any help to get this thing to show up and cutting on my windows 7 box would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, OZ

Add a serial card like this one from new egg and go serial for less problems

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815166006  If you have to go with a usb to serial converter then the keyspan is the recommended one

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=serial+to+usb&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=14565954588677202805&ei=SWsMTJWLBJyUMtesgbYE&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CEEQ8wIwAw#

but seriously just add the serial card to your tower and be done with it and not more dangling adapters

sigh.... so what I bought was useless....

Are there any serial to USB adapters sold @ fry's or Microcenter that work well? I'd rather not wait another week waiting for the fedex guy to get started

Have you tried using the Generic Roland pnc 1000 driver choice in Signblazer?   Also have you tried using it on Signcut cutting software?  Your cutter IS listed on it. You can download a free 1 week trial,  At least it will be on the correct driver. and maybe you can figure out the communication problem. Or if it's a cutter problem.   Also not all Usb to serial  adapters will work on vinyl cutters.,  the KEYSPAN adapter is a very good one. and highly recommended.  

http://www.sc-x2.com/

Found a local place here in Dallas (All-Tex electronics by the Addison Airport) that sold the Keyspan serial adapter ...

xvRS2l.jpg

so I grabbed one and now my cutter works.

It's 10+ bucks more than places online, but it's the price you pay for instant gratification.

Example of it working:

C7bAD.jpg

great you got it going,   as I stated, many people have found that the Keyspan  adapter is the way to go.  Some people try to go the cheap route and those adapters will not work,  and they have to take it back and still get the Keyspan,   ;)

I am not running ult. but win 7 64. I need to get this unit up and running. its a refine mh1101 and I just got the keyspan and its still not sending the cut. I have installed all drivers from signcut. Im using signcutpro. the cutter was working before I moved with win xp and the first sign cut. now i have upgraded and I get nothing I just tried the wincut demo and I still have no cut. I have a keyspan com on com 4 but it still just says sending but no cut. I really need help because I'm doing this as a business for the first time and I have people that would like some decals so any help would be great.

Just connected my old Vinyl Express Lynx to Windows 7 64 bit, and did some cutting. I plugged in my parallel to usb cable into the a usb port on the HP15 laptop. Turned on the cutter. The computer found it. It loaded an existing driver to create USB_Printer_0. Also an IEEE-1284 Controller (the Lynx) was listed as a device on the computer. Next, in Flexi Starter 10, I used "Add Setup" to add the Vinyl Express Lynx, and selected USB_Printer_0 as the port. Went back to Flexi, and clicked the cut button. Voila! One interesting note is that Flexi bypassed the production manager, although it was running.

I think that because the HP15 laptop does not have a parallel (or serial) port, the software drivers are already installed to adapt a usb port to parallel, such as for a printer. The Lynx has an IEEE-1284 interface, which is the same as a parallel printer. So you don't need special software; the driver is already on the 64-bit computer. Just need a cable. 

Just connected my old Vinyl Express Lynx to Windows 7 64 bit, and did some cutting. I plugged in my parallel to usb cable into the a usb port on the HP15 laptop. Turned on the cutter. The computer found it. It loaded an existing driver to create USB_Printer_0. Also an IEEE-1284 Controller (the Lynx) was listed as a device on the computer. Next, in Flexi Starter 10, I used "Add Setup" to add the Vinyl Express Lynx, and selected USB_Printer_0 as the port. Went back to Flexi, and clicked the cut button. Voila! One interesting note is that Flexi bypassed the production manager, although it was running.

I think that because the HP15 laptop does not have a parallel (or serial) port, the software drivers are already installed to adapt a usb port to parallel, such as for a printer. The Lynx has an IEEE-1284 interface, which is the same as a parallel printer. So you don't need special software; the driver is already on the 64-bit computer. Just need a cable. 

that would be interesting as production manager IS flexi's cutting portion of the software. it has 2 parts the design part and production manager is the cutting portion

• Like 1