Sign in to follow this  
Surge Digital Design

First Timer, Cutting Pressure Question

First question on the forums....so take it easy on me :)

I am purchasing an MH series cutter (24" model) as my first cutter.  I am trying to reduce my future headaches by doing as much research as possible.  One question I still have is what are some good pressures to cut through the following types of vinyl?  I've searched through the forums as well as Oracle's site, but haven't found a number value, mostly just "test and see" methods.  I believe the MH series can cut with up to 400 pressure, and I am merely looking for a good starting point.  Here is all the info Oracle's site provided me with:

"What pressure should I have my vinyl cutter set on when plotting ORACAL

I got the starter pack of greenstar when I bought my cutter too. Honestly, if I could do it again, I wouldve just bought Oracal all the way around. It is sooooo much better than Greenstar. It lays down better, and just LOOKS better. lol. I have a copam but have used the two vinyls you intend to use and my settings are 10cm/sec(speed, for fine graphics, bump it up for larger graphics), and between 20-30grams of cutting force. The most important thing I think is how far you stick your blade out. If its too far out it will cut through the backing paper and all, you dont wanna do that. after you get that set, the rest should be super easy. I didnt have to touch my settings when I got my cutter after I got the blade depth right.

If you havent bought your cutter yet, do yourself a favor and dont buy the greenstar. Oracal is more expensive but you will thank yourself for it, seriously.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your purchase.

Thank you very much for that information as well as the tip about GreenStar, I've heard mixed reviews about it, some good some not as good.  Perhaps we will save ourselves a future headache and go with the Oracle after all.

Thanks again!

Surge

Okay, this has got me thinking then, what type of application tape do you suggest I use?

We were thinking about the GreenStar brand here as well, should we go with RTape instead, and if so which type do you prefer?  We intend on doing the basic window decals/magnets/banners/race car #'s.

Thanks again for the tips!  :)

Personally  I used to use  Rtape for several years, and bought a roll of  Main tape but found I like Main perfectear tape alot better.  It lays really nice,  I purchase mine here,  you will want the paper tape.  You can purchase smaller rolls,  but I use alot of tape, So I purchase the 48" log and they slit it free, To my sizes.  Is cheaper. And this store has great service.  I don't know where you live, they are from Michigan , so I get next day.  Possibly a Main supplier close to you, if you chose to go with Main tape.

http://stores.ebay.com/JRA-Sign-Supplies_Application-Tapes_W0QQ_fsubZ463890014QQ_sidZ12415724QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322