bbreault

My first try at airbrushing vinyl

Alright a few members on here inspired me to break out my airbrush and finally try to do it. I personally think that it came out awesome for my first try. I did mess up and weeded the graphic before I airbrushed it. lol. I can completely understand why you airbrush it first now. lol. I really needed to clear coat it because the airbrush paint I have is the Createx waterbased paint, some of the paint was pulled off with the transfer tape but I hope you guys like it. Tell me what you think. :thumbsup: And yes, it is done on a flatscreen TV. The tv is broken and cant be fixed, so Im making good use of it. It was my first airbrushed vinyl so I expected it to come out bad. lol.

IMG_2249.jpg

width=800 height=600http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu237/braindomain333/IMG_2248.jpg[/img]

yes, it is two layers. I did the black border and  then did another vnyl and airbrushed the inner part.

lol. Tv is broken, it would cost more to fix it than it would to just get a new one. we were given the TV BECAUSE it was broken. lol. and I thought the vinyl was going to come out ALOT worse than what it did, so I figured Id just slap it on the screen.

Guest manwayvan

Lol Looks great..Def something I make check into..I have always wanted to try airbrushing anyways

TSQUIRTZ, youre everywhere today. lol. That post is definitely one of the posts that inspired me to try it. Def a good read.

A few tips for trying it:

1.) DONT WEED THE GRAPHICS BEFORE YOU AIRBRUSH!!!! lol. I made that mistake

2.) Scuffing the vinyl for adhering is good. I tried the steelwool thing but I noticed that it got under the little corners of another graphic I tried doing

3.) Clean the vinyl really good before laying down paint, otherwise it will bead up and look like poop. lol

4.) Put down paint in thin layers and gradual, like you would normally painting

5.) CLEAR COAT IT. you may not need to do this with an automotive grade paint (non-waterbased), but I used waterbased so I had to. Used a cheapo spray bomb can for it. Nice light mist a couple of times.

6.) Go really easy taking the transfer tape off. Maybe even wet it to make it release a little easier as to not pull the paint off the vinyl.

Hope that helps. Thanks TSQUIRTZ for posting that link. :)

I would cut my vinyl to rough size (large enough for the graphic and room for the pinch rollers)

Scuff with a grey scotchbrite pad.

Clean with alchohol.

Cut the graphic.

Spray with adhesion promoter (if using automotive paints)

Airbrush.

Clearcoat.

Weed.

Ahhh..maybe that was my mistake. I used steel wool, not scotchbrite.....whoops my bad. Thanks TSQUIRTZ. I was only postin from my experience what to and not to do for Jackie J. I made alot of mistakes doing mine so your advice is worth alot more than mine. 

And loose the Createx paints, if you use AutoAir, or Etac, you can skip the scotchbriteing altogether, just a wipe is all ya need, if you have to use waterbased. Solvents are even better.

Yeah, I Know to lose the createx. It was teh stuff I bought when I first bought my airbrush. I never bought automotive grade airbrush paint, but I wanted to try it anyway. :)

LOOKS GREAT! yea and remember to spray it in light coats. i spray a light coat then hit it with the hair drier then build it up with another coat,the drier again. i find one heavy coat with createx AutoAir tends to pull off even after clearing..so dont be in a hurry...and a light coat of clear,to heavy and over time outdoors it will curl up the paint layer of vinyl off the second shadow layer of vinyl..atleast thats what i have found.

Guest debogus

Good info on vinyl treatment for airbrushing

Funny how its pretty much the same thing I did to just print on it.

And  using the oven instead of a hair dryer. :thumbsup:

The red "got altitude" is black print on red vinyl.

Nice to just print small stuff instead of trying to weed it ;)

4656521354_406241ef67.jpg