Sign in to follow this  
mwdesigncreate

How to Price a job with customer supplied vinyl?

Hello all!

Does anyone know how I would price a job using customer supplied vinyl to inkjet print on?

Customer wants me to print on specialty type of vinyl.

I would be printing using my Epson Stylus Pro 7600 wide format inkjet printer.

My best guess would be to price it based on ink usage, but how do I do that? It comes out to cost me $0.61 (61 cents) per mL of ink used..... but how do I know how much ink will be used based in milliliters from an inkjet printer?

ANY help or helpful suggestions would be a HUGE help!!! Thank you all again!

How do you normally price the work that you print?    Do it that way, subtract the price of the normal vinyl you would be using at that price, add a fudge factor for the hassle.....and remember no guarantee on customer supplied materials.

....and remember no guarantee on customer supplied materials.

second that one. this is a loose-loose situation if you screw up his material. you either have to replace it or he gets angry with you.

I charge 4 times the ink i used...and i tell them im not gonna replace material if something happens. Do it at your own risk, but i only print on a couple guys material...They are "regulars" and its vinyl i dont want to buy rolls of. The buy the rolls and bring them to me...

If i have the vinyl they need they pay for it, i dont use their vinyl if i have my own, just special cases and odd types of vinyl. Stuff that i will never use and over $500 a roll

To figures it out just figure up how much ink you have to use. My program tells me, not sure if yours does or not.

Heres how i do it

If it says it takes 25cc of ink

a 220cc ink cartridge is $70

$70 divided by 220 cc is .32 per cc of ink

.32 x 25cc it takes to do the job = $8 (this is your cost of doiung the job)

8x4 =$32

I charge 4 times the ink i used...and i tell them im not gonna replace material if something happens. Do it at your own risk, but i only print on a couple guys material...They are "regulars" and its vinyl i dont want to buy rolls of. The buy the rolls and bring them to me...

If i have the vinyl they need they pay for it, i dont use their vinyl if i have my own, just special cases and odd types of vinyl. Stuff that i will never use and over $500 a roll

To figures it out just figure up how much ink you have to use. My program tells me, not sure if yours does or not.

Heres how i do it

If it says it takes 25cc of ink

a 220cc ink cartridge is $70

$70 divided by 220 cc is .32 per cc of ink

.32 x 25cc it takes to do the job = $8 (this is your cost of doiung the job)

8x4 =$32

Don't forget the fudge factor there - I worked in a small shop with an Epson 7600 for a while, and though I loved the printer, it ate ink.  I figure up that 10-20% of the ink went into the maintenance tank.

IMO, a CIS is a *need*, not a want, for a commercial printer.