hartley942

Control panel on CT-630 not functioning properly

Hello out there,  This is my first post ever on a forum, so bear with me, please. 

I am new to cutters, but seasoned on computers.  Along with this posting I have also sent a ticket to tech support.  Just maybe this will help someone else out there who has spent way too long trying to get things going.

BACKGROUND:

New Pcut CT-630, just out of box, purchased from US Cutter, Windows XP, Signcut Pro, both USB and Serial available.

First attempt to hook up cutter May 29, 2010. Unit powered, driver installed (verified on com port 6, FTDI device working properly, will drop from view on Device list when USB disconnected and reappears when reconnected).  RS-232 does not appear to work. No "Red" kill buttons are pressed or appear to be stuck. Software appears to work, (progress indicator displays elapsed time when "Cut Out" is selected in File menu but nothing happens with the cutter.  Installed to two different computers with same results.

I have reviewed the knowledge base and 20+ pages of postings trying to find an answer, but have as of yet have found nothing that directly addresses the issues I have in total.  I have seen suggestions from others to check the connections on the mother board but am reluctant to do so until I get authority from tech support. I do not believe that this is a software issue.  It appears to be more a hardware issue.

ISSUES:

1)As unit is powered up it goes through the display of model and version then defaults to "On Line"

2)Pressing "On Line": >>> display shows X+0.00/Y+0.00

a) Pressing "Mode" several times to get baud per instructions: >> nothing happens.

;) Pressing "Left Arrow" >> does nothing.

c) Pressing "Right Arrow" >> moves cutter head to right.

d) Pressing "Origin" button >> resets X coordinates to +0.00.

e) Pressing "Paper Withdraw/Feed" Arrows" Fwd/Reverse >> functions properly.

f)  Pressing "Knife Dropping/Raising" Arrows >> does nothing.

g) Pressing "Pause" twice >> cutter plots rectangle (with pen installed).

h) Pressing "Reset" >> restarts initialization and returns to "On Line" status

Has anyone had this problem??? Are there any suggestions???

Thanks for listening and for any help you can give,

Frustrated "Joe" in South Carolina

sounds like possible

1: bad connection to mb or from panel

2: bad mb

3: bad cable

4: something I missed

tech support will go thru their checklist and narrow it down

I would bet they are not in until Tuesday

to get it cutting even with the possible panel problems did you try the serial port? - sometimes easier to get it to work

Yes, I did try both the RS-232 and the USB.  I do not see the connection to the RS-232 when connected.  I do see the USB connection as verified by it dropping from the Device list when unplugged. 

How can I tell if the RS-232 is working???

Thanks Again,

Joe

Thanks,  I went to the Device manager checked the connection and baud rate, then opened the cutter settings and changed to com port one and changed the baud rate to 9600 to match the port settings and voila, it worked. It would have all worked better had the control panel worked properly providing the baud rate for the initial setup.

Thanks so very much for your help.

I will still need to consult with tech support about the issues with the control panel.  At least I have communications between the computer and the cutter.

was hoping we could get you cutting and playing this weekend!  Tech support I am sure will have the answer on the panel tuesday.

Have fun

A few screws and it's apart!  Take a look at it.  I guarantee all theyre going to say is that the mainboard is bad (IF all the of connections are good) and will ship you a new one.  You'll have to take it apart to install anyway!

sad part is I've seen mb's replaced without issue but have never seen the control replaced and not still end up going back in the end