Sign in to follow this  
TruckDriver

Would you be mad?

[quote author=CyberSultan link=topic=28502.msg225114#msg225114 date=1275334950

This world needs less selfishness, not more.  The current mess in our economy speaks volumes as to the results of selfishness.

isn't that the truth. all over the world.

Guest Schramm

BannerJohn,

Just because I don't make a living off making signs doesn't mean I do not have interest in the sign business.  I am a subscriber of SignCraft Magazine and read all the articles and I have made well over 400 signs from 2005 to date I just not do it full time.  You are right in saying what you say if I was clueless but I have knowledge of the trades other then signs as well and I watch and read most things posted on a number of forums and they all have similarities when it comes to people just starting.  Don't get me wrong I am happy helping someone new and I hold no ill will against anyone wanting to make a living but I think that there should be training or you should be trained before you start a business.  I meaning doing crafts is one thing, using it to make things for family another.  Starting a full time sign company yet another.  I am sure there are many of you saying what an ass_ole....  Really I make this point for a reason and maybe it is only MY OPINION however I really doubt it.  Before you start a full time business you need to know your competition, know your market, have a business plan in place and have enough money to start and run your business at the same caliber as your competition not to mention your business experience needs to be the same otherwise you are price competitive without a clue which 100% explains why so many people are on forums getting answers to questions on what to charge, how to do something and so on....

In a perfect world we all would have the same talent, our knowledge would be on everything and we could all do everything but UNFORTUNATELY for all that is why there are schools, training, education and so on.  Flying by the seat of your pants is not experience and to be price competitive with a company you have no business competing with is absurd! 

My point was (and is) there are sign shops everywhere. Within 1 mile of my shop are 3 'fast sign' type shops, two regular sign companies..and Office depot, FedEx Kinkos,and Office max..all of which do signs and banners.

However, there aren't any listings in the local phone book for the types of things you do. Around here, you would be the only game in town and pricing wouldn't be an issue. With signs, the competition is everywhere,and I mean EVERYWHERE. IF you were in the business, you would know this. If you want to stay in business, you compete. 95% of people couldn't care less about anything but PRICE..and if you are just starting out, lower prices is the ONLY edge you have over the other guys. You can't say "I've only been doing this for just a few months but I'm really good'.

Oh,and btw, I was doing the decorative finishes in 1971. Stopped doing them in 1988 when my lungs started giving out and the fumes got too much for me.

So,like I said,when you have competed in the sign biz for awhile, I'll listen to you in regard to signs.

Guest Schramm

BannerJohn,

I knew what you meant.  My posts have absolutely nothing to do with you.  Fast signs, staples and those mentioned are insanely priced franchises and honestly not what I meant.

As for my business, you are right I kinda developed a very unique business that I have really no competition throughout the US.  This took a lot of time almost all my money and very easily could of failed but luckily for me it worked the other way.  Since 2 full years have gone by with very little issue and new commercial contracts coming in all the time I am certain the business will continue in the positive.  What is funny is I get tons of emails, pms and calls asking me for formulas for making mirrors like I am going to give away my secrets.

I fully understand that it is a very hard time in business when there is competition but I guess my point all along is if you are experienced in what you do (not meaning you) you can adjust your business in a different direction but in the same market and become unique.  If you do not understand you business and just bought the plotter to hope people will help you your bound to fail anyway.

This is at no time meant for most and really not even the new bees unless the plan was to just let everyone else help you because you had no plan.

Rob