Sign in to follow this  
TruckDriver

Would you be mad?

Would I be mad.....well no, but I would cringe when I saw my painted over signs.  

;) BUT, at least they are trying to recycle.  An up-sell opportunity for sure.

Charity....we have a storefront printshop and also offer quick banners & signs.  

We get several requests per week for freebie tickets, flyers, posters, copies, banners, signs........  

;D  Sometimes it is overwhelming...as others have said, we operate

for profit companies and cannot donate to everyone that calls or comes in the door.  

I have no problem donating to business/organizations that purchase from me...

I try to keep it to a percentage of their yearly spending.  

It's the organizations that cold call and want give-aways that bother me.

I tell them we SAVE our donations for those that do business with us

during the year and perhaps their regular printer would like the opportunity.  

I then suggest we would be happy to provide their printing during the year

and ask who in their organization handles the purchasing.

I will make an exception for a cause I believe in....but despite this,

I don't see that we gain much from freebies.  Better to offer to partner for

publicity or add a coupon to the back of "Free" tickets.  

I have also provided free labor if they pay for the materials.....

but that seems to cheapen your product.

wow some name calling! (sound like a dick)

I think someone better check there halo, donate here and rip someone off here?? Does that equal out to be a good person?

saying someone sounds like a dick and saying they are a dick is not the same thing.

AS far as anyone ripping someone off..care to back that up?

"I don't see that we gain much from freebies."

I don't guess I've gained much either, if you count gain as in money. But some people (myself included) consider other things as well. Personally, I like the nice feeling I get when I help someone out. You can't buy that.

Any way that I have ever helped be it money,some other type donation, or just my labor to help some one has always came back to me 10 fold if only in the satisfaction of knowing I may have helped some one in some small way. Our nation was formed on people helping each other without any expectations of any thing but maybe a thank you. And it is not as common as it was people used to take care of their elderly neighbors maybe cut their grass, do a chore around their home or even just set and talk for a while or when seeing some one needing a hand lifting something, or a stalled car etc.  There are some Charity's that are ripoff artist that is a given but most are legit agency's trying to make a difference. And if you donate some type of signage put a small donated by------------- in one of the corners . that way any  one that takes the time to read it at least has your name in mind if they should need signage.

Dan

"I don't see that we gain much from freebies."

I don't guess I've gained much either, if you count gain as in money. But some people (myself included) consider other things as well. Personally, I like the nice feeling I get when I help someone out. You can't buy that.

I don't operate a business to the benefit of my soul, I operate it for the benefit of my balance sheet.

Someone about complained about our "selfish" culture - well, I truly wish our culture was more selfish.  We have a cultural predisposition to altruism and self-sacrifice, but that doesn't make it healthy or right.  In the OP's example, the bar/charity event ended up with signs that they obviously didn't value, as they painted over the top of them instead of doing it right and having them re-used by the sign shop.  The person doing the giving feels betrayed as a result, as his work product has been disrespected.  Who gained here?

lynnpromotions, your post sounds a lot like me.  I'm *happy* to help with a cause, but I'm not willing to do it for free.  I've also offered to provide decals and such to organizations to sell, and credit them back their un-used portions.  I've set my pricing so that my base rates will cover this type of thing, and discount for most orders.

Guest Schramm

I have to giggle at some of the responses and I honestly think that I made my point.

I don't think that that some understand what the meaning of the word CHARITY is, charity is a gift given freely to help another.  No need for halos and I don't honestly think that we walk on water when we do it.  We all started somewhere and most charity organizations that have come my way are legit.  I don't have a storefront.  I work from home with a large basement studio and building in the back.  No I wouldn't give to a non real charity, no I wouldn't give to any Joe Blow but honestly I don't ever get that.  The ones that solicit me are schools, non for profits and ones dealing with the housing market.  If you look at charity the way many of you do, you will have responses like you have.  Charity or donations whether in cash or materials is just that a gift to help another and NOT something for you to bear a profit on.  If you cannot afford to do it, write them a check for $50 and let it go.  You may not believe it but generosity goes a long way in helping your fellow man/woman.

Here is a perfect example:  Last year I donated a custom mirror that should of sold for over $750.  When asked its value so they could notate it for the upcoming school auction they wrote down $75.  The day of the auction, instead of auctioning it I suggested that they raffle it and they didn't.  Instead of auctioning it they offered it up for $75 and it sold immediately.  Was I upset?  Sure!  Did I loose sleep over it?  NOPE as it was a gift...  Now I got calls for a month after that with people asking me for custom mirrors for $75!!!  When you give away items, time or money it is a free choice but honestly there are great charities and if you looked at it as a gift then some paint on a sign wouldn't be an issue.  If you look at it as in investment, then maybe you should buy advertisement on a park bench as then you can be pissed when someone ruins it.

"I don't operate a business to the benefit of my soul, I operate it for the benefit of my balance sheet."

I guess that's the difference between you and me. Everything I do, I do for the benefit of my soul. Reason is, that's the only thing nobody can take away from me.

Face death like I have(and am) and you get a different perspective on things. You realize what's important.

"Business! Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were all my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!"

Jacob Marley, A Christmas carol.

I really feel sorry for people who put the almighty dollar above everything else.

wow, what a thread! haha. this is my first time looking since i posted so i just kinda skimmed it.

but seriously people. you can't run a good business without donating now and then. you'll also be out of business within a month if you donate everything.

i'm still not going to lie, i won't think about doing business with lynnpromotions. as a customer, a b2b customer even, you just don't want to purchase from a guy like that.

if you seriously do feel that way, don't publicize it for god's sake unless you want to be criticized.

i love donating work. and i'm not sure about you but i consider giving a really good deal or at cost or whatever donating. it's a great promo skill, and it really brings a warm feeling.

lynnpromotions: If a customer calls today asking my to donate say 10 1 color 1 side for a breast cancer 5k run, I'd probably answer like this. "Sorry, but I'm just so busy right now. However I can donate 2-3 signs if you'd like, or I could give you all ten for just $5 each!" It seems as if you're response would go a little like this, (and maybe I'm wrong but this is how you come off to me) "I'm sorry, but we have competitive pricing so you could purchase ten from us if you'd like!"

wow, what a thread! haha. this is my first time looking since i posted so i just kinda skimmed it.

but seriously people. you can't run a good business without donating now and then. you'll also be out of business within a month if you donate everything.

i'm still not going to lie, i won't think about doing business with lynnpromotions. as a customer, a b2b customer even, you just don't want to purchase from a guy like that.

if you seriously do feel that way, don't publicize it for god's sake unless you want to be criticized.

i love donating work. and i'm not sure about you but i consider giving a really good deal or at cost or whatever donating. it's a great promo skill, and it really brings a warm feeling.

lynnpromotions: If a customer calls today asking my to donate say 10 1 color 1 side for a breast cancer 5k run, I'd probably answer like this. "Sorry, but I'm just so busy right now. However I can donate 2-3 signs if you'd like, or I could give you all ten for just $5 each!" It seems as if you're response would go a little like this, (and maybe I'm wrong but this is how you come off to me) "I'm sorry, but we have competitive pricing so you could purchase ten from us if you'd like!"

:thumbsup:;D

"Someone about complained about our "selfish" culture - well, I truly wish our culture was more selfish.  We have a cultural predisposition to altruism and self-sacrifice, but that doesn't make it healthy or right."

I am glad my view of life isn't like that.And happy to say most people don't look at life that way either.More selfish? That's what's wrong with the world today,that makes it such a shitty place to live.

Guest Schramm

Honestly lynnpromotions is what got me going!  There is no such thing as competitive pricing.  Quality over quantity should always be your drive.  I have friends in the faux biz that founded the Wall Words concept over 15 years ago and based there business off of quality and had no assumption of of becoming rich.  They donate to everything and have since conception and even with the onslaught of generic plotters being sold to the masses there business has never slowed down because everyone knows they know what they are doing and they will get it to them right the first time!  By no means do they price competitively if anything they are on the high end of scope.

Refigure what your doing lynnpromotions as your response would have been better left unsaid! 

"Someone about complained about our "selfish" culture - well, I truly wish our culture was more selfish.  We have a cultural predisposition to altruism and self-sacrifice, but that doesn't make it healthy or right."

I am glad my view of life isn't like that.And happy to say most people don't look at life that way either.More selfish? That's what's wrong with the world today,that makes it such a shitty place to live.

I wish I could explain it in more detail without bordering on the political - but my position is not a petty one, nor is it ill-thought-out.  I recognize and welcome your right to dispose of your property as you see fit.  I ask only that you do the same. :thumbsup:

Honestly lynnpromotions is what got me going!  There is no such thing as competitive pricing.  Quality over quantity should always be your drive.  I have friends in the faux biz that founded the Wall Words concept over 15 years ago and based there business off of quality and had no assumption of of becoming rich.  They donate to everything and have since conception and even with the onslaught of generic plotters being sold to the masses there business has never slowed down because everyone knows they know what they are doing and they will get it to them right the first time!  By no means do they price competitively if anything they are on the high end of scope.

Refigure what your doing lynnpromotions as your response would have been better left unsaid!   

around here,pricing competatively simply means you are in line with everyone else. Only an idiot would deliberately price higher than everyone else. No..wait a sec...there is always the element who think if it's higher it must be better. Which is a total crock of shit.

Guest Schramm

I wish I could explain it in more detail without bordering on the political - but my position is not a petty one, nor is it ill-thought-out.  I recognize and welcome your right to dispose of your property as you see fit.  I ask only that you do the same. :thumbsup:

I wish you would explain that...

Guest Schramm

That may be true if you are com paining apples to apples, but only a true idiot would believe the majority on a forum of mostly beginners is the same quality as a pro sign or shirt company that is professionally trained!

around here,pricing competatively simply means you are in line with everyone else. Only an idiot would deliberately price higher than everyone else. No..wait a sec...there is always the element who think if it's higher it must be better. Which is a total crock of shit.

I wish you would explain that...

Well, in short - I am an Objectivist.  I really don't want to get into detail on philosophy, as it invariably leads to politics, and political/religious discussions are verboten in this forum.

That may be true if you are com paining apples to apples, but only a true idiot would believe the majority on a forum of mostly beginners is the same quality as a pro sign or shirt company that is professionally trained!

when you get into the sign business, I'll take what you say seriously. Pricing is pricing. If you don't do a good job, the customer will let you know.

oh,and learn to place your replies outside what you are quoting.

Well I give every year money and decals or what not and I still make a great living.

Well I give every year money and decals or what not and I still make a great living.

Good for you. It's called payback. What goes around,comes around.

I'm gonna be in Myrtle Beach tomorrow thru Friday. I am SO looking forward to it.

I personally get great satisfaction in donating.  Today I'm completing a bunch of shirts and other items to be donated to a 5th grade class at a local school.  These 5th graders have been reading all year round (on their own time) to earn points for an end-of-year auction.  The students wrote letters to various companies asking if they would be willing to donate any items they could to support their reading efforts.  Makes me feel great to help in a way that makes learning fun by providing something that will a lasting reminder of something they worked hard for and accomplished during the year.

This world needs less selfishness, not more.  The current mess in our economy speaks volumes as to the results of selfishness.

John I hope You enjoy your trip to M.B. There is plenty to do there I can promise you that.

John I hope You enjoy your trip to M.B. There is plenty to do there I can promise you that.

yeah I go every year.

Supper at Rockefellers Raw Bar and watching the waves is all I really care about.

Maybe a trip over to Broadway at the Beach...for lunch and Jimmy Buffet's Place.

Yea you might better go now if they dont get oil leak stopped it may impact our beaches before its all said and done.

yeah I've thought about that but I am hoping that the currents aren't right for it to hit the east coast.