I've been to the uscutter website about 50 times in the last couple months just looking and researching.  I've finally decided to buy a cutter and I'm almost positive I'm going with the MH-721.  I wanted the contour cutting feature on the Laserpoint 24 but I really can't justify spending the extra $150 for it.

Then I stumbled across this forum, great place to get some answers!

With all of them answered the only thing I'm still a little curious about is the fact that the MH-721 is a couple years old.  Have there been upgrades to improve the machine and the model number has never been changed?  Or is it just such a good design for the price they keep making them the same way?

How does newer software work with the older plotter? Is most of the more popular software compatible?

Should I even be worried about how old it is? Seems that there are plenty of people to help and parts will be available for a while.

Pay day is in 2 days so hopefully you guys can tell me what I want to hear and I'll be cutting vinyl in a couple weeks.

Thanks!

My personal opinion is stay away from the MH and look for a used Pcut  I swear the things are almost bulletproof,  just one thing is adventaully youll have to do the  serial to usb conversion  cause the usb ports tend to loosen up

hmm, how much do those run and where is the best place to get one of those used?  I want to spend under $400 so I am kind of limited to the quality of a machine I can buy. 

While I'm an avid believer of "you get what you pay for" I do not see myself doing any extensive cutting so I think I will be ok with bottom of the line for the first couple of years.....

I just want compatibility and something that will last a couple years.

Thanks RDR

I've had my MH-721 for about six months, and it's been good to me.

The worst thing that happened is that I broke the bolt holding the blade holder to the arm when I was travelling a while back, but a trip to Lowes and some small zip-ties later, I was up and running again.

Yeah, it's a cheap machine, but it does the job I need.  I'll upgrade to either a Graphtec or a Roland in time, though when/if I wear this one out, I'll may get another one if my business hasn't grown to the point yet where I can absorb the full cost of the Roland.

If you ask me, $300 is cheap insurance when it comes to making sure this is something you want to do.

I bought my 721 years ago and it's still making me money! When this forum first started, there were a few people who had problems with the 721's and most of the others. But the majority of those problems were user error, Not the cutters. They are a cheaper brand and not the sturdiest stands but still all in all they get the job done at an affordable startup price. They are compatible with the newer software. In fact they are more compatible now than they were when I got mine. 

I bought my 721 years ago and it's still making me money! When this forum first started, there were a few people who had problems with the 721's and most of the others. But the majority of those problems were user error, Not the cutters. They are a cheaper brand and not the sturdiest stands but still all in all they get the job done at an affordable startup price. They are compatible with the newer software. In fact they are more compatible now than they were when I got mine.  

;D ;D

I have TWO MH cutters..never a problem with either. Unless space is a problem, I'd go with this deal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-34-Vinyl-Cutter-Cutting-Plotter-USCutter-w-USB-/300431516862?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f31d24be

No complaints with my 721 once I got away from the usb cable... I bought a graphtec but only cuz I got it cheap.

MM64  ;D

No complaints with my 721 once I got away from the usb cable... I bought a graphtec but only cuz I got it cheap.

MM64  ;D

that wasn't cheap that was a steal!

Also, just wanted to point out that you usually only hear from those with problems (whether it's a real issue or operator error). Those who are happy customers don't typically complain.

Guest kenya

hmmmm - seem to hear from a lot of happy Graphtec owners!

Has there ever been an owner of a graphtec that was unhappy?

hmmmm - seem to hear from a lot of happy Graphtec owners!

Has there ever been an owner of a graphtec that was unhappy?

Nope - and they like to brag about how good the machines are and how much easier  life is since getting one ;D

I was checking out ebay... It seems that there is no reason to buy from the website's store because everything is going to be cheaper on ebay....

Guess it can't hurt to go with 34"... I'm going to wait a day and see what the couple of 25" do.

Thanks

I wish I could afford a graphtec, my pockets aren't that deep.  I'm mainly going to be using this to make vinyl cutout's to put over disc golf frisbees and dip them in RIT Dye. If you're wondering what i'm talking about - http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25.  I think I'll have to make a few stickers too...

yes, they are cheaper on EBAY, BUT also the warranty is a WHOLE lot shorter.  Warranty on Ebay is 90 days.  Warranty 1 year on MH series on US CUTTER  Website.  Longer on higher end models.

Most of us didn't start with a graphtec we worked out way up from the mh series refine progressively to the graphtec!

If you get the word out that you have a cutter, you will not only pay for the refine pretty fast,but make enough for that Graphtec. I couldn't believe how many people wanted stuff once they heard I had a cutter.

signs and banners...my brother sold enough banner biz to pay for teh cutter twice over in one visit to a local indoor flea market. All of the vendors had crappy home made signs..he gave them a price that was not too high and they jumped on it.

Guest kenya

only one I know recently is..... forsalevinylsigns,,   a used one,  not working.. 

I can understand if it's not working, but how about one purchased new?  ;)