southtx1

Heat Press

Hi ,  has anybody taken a look at the 4-1multi  heat press's on e-bay ( $400 or less delivered ) ? the hat & t-shirt part part is very interesting , i don't think the plate & mug part would ever be used . the price seems alot cheaper than buying a t-shirt & a hat press . any adive ?

thanks , Rodger

advice i meant ..

Be wary of heat presses on Ebay. The cheaper ones are Chinese made. However, unlike the Creation units that have proven themselves to be reliable and dependable, these have not.

Heat presses must distribute the heat evenly oven the entire surface and they must be durable. One thing you will readily notice with the Chinese heat presses is little or no warranty. Most of the sites selling these don't even talk about a warranty. If one is offered, it is minimal at best. Most of the good heat presses have a lifetime warranty on the heating element. I can tell you from experience that this is worth a lot. A bad heating element can make things very difficult in a production environment.

Not all heat presses are created equal. A press with cold spots in the platen is virtually worthless. You can have an excellent result, except for one small spot, but that spot can ruin the entire job that you run.

I believe in saving money when feasible. But I've never been able to convince myself that a press with no warranty and of questionable construction is worth 1/3 the price of a quality press. Even if one were to be offered with a good warranty, is it worthwhile to pay $200 plus dollars to ship and return the press in the event of a problem? I paid $600 for my Mighty Press (15 x 15), and it's worth every penny. 

Then again I've got one of 'those cheap chineeze' heat presses from an online auction that I've been using for months with satisfactory results.

I cut vinyl and press shirts because I enjoy doing it and make a little $$ in the process. My livelihood does not depend on it.

If it did, perhaps I could have justified spending twice the $$. But it don't and I didn't. No regrets at this point.

I saw those home-built ones on ebay...since I am a woodworker I decided to give it a go. I had some oak lying around,so all I had to buy was the hardware and the heat source. I spent about $30 more or less.

It is as solid as a rock,the heat source is even and it works great. I might have to replace the heat source from time to time ($22) but the press itself will be here long after I am gone.

No timer on the unit,but a nice big clock with a second hand does fine for me.

This might not be for everybody, But I figured if I spent a lot of money up front and then found I didn't have a market here, It would be pretty stupid. So, if I wasted $30 then I could still grill hamburgers if nothing else.

AS for the expensive heat presses...well,I'm not dumb enough to think that a heat source,a timer, and about $50 worth of sheet metal is worth $600 or more.After all,the only working bit is the heat source and the timer if it has one. Its nothing really complicated at all. Certainly not $600 worth of complicated.

But then,I build my own computers too.

Guest sciondrgn

I'm really wanting to get a heat press as well but man there just so expensive

I own one of those chinese made heat presses and It works great.

Maybe Im one of the lucky ones.

May I ask what you used for the heat source?

an electric griddle with thermostat. I'm not in the shop right now I think its 15x21" heat surface. You can get them at walmart,target...they even have a non-=stick surface.

I agree that heat presses are not complicated.  400 shirts later the 15 X 15 three month old China press I have is working just fine.  I have seen this same press on some of the suppliers sites that has been rebranded and a bit higher price. ebay works for me.

I too was curious about the wooden heat presses on eBay. Think I will buy one just for a backup.

Dan

AS for the expensive heat presses...well,I'm not dumb enough to think that a heat source,a timer, and about $50 worth of sheet metal is worth $600 or more.After all,the only working bit is the heat source and the timer if it has one. Its nothing really complicated at all. Certainly not $600 worth of complicated.

I use heat presses for very specific items that require a definite temperature to work properly. For a simple vinyl transfer an expensive heat press probably isn't necessary. But I press OEM laser transfers and dye sublimation transfers that have to be done in specific temperatures - 375 degrees, 400 degrees, etc. And they have to be done with even temperature w/o any cold spots throughout the transfer. For me a $600 press isn't an option; it's a necessity. If I only did the vinyl, I could probably use cheap presses.

I would suggest, however, that if you are thinking about expanding beyond vinyl transfers into specialty imprinting that you consider a quality heat press. The specialty transfer papers for garments and hard goods are very temperamental with regard to temperatures, so a 385 degree transfer means just that - 350 won't work and 400 won't work. It's difficult to achieve those specific temperatures w/o a quality press. One of the problems w/ the import presses is that they digitally read 350 or whatever, but do a  laser temp. reading w/ a Raytek laser temp. sensor and you'll find how far they can deviate.

an electric griddle with thermostat. I'm not in the shop right now I think its 15x21" heat surface. You can get them at walmart,target...they even have a non-=stick surface.

Any chance you can pass on the instructions, or the site where you found them? I have been interested in this, but dont have the bucks to "try it"

Thanks - you are always a wealth of information!

I got my idea from this one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/E-Z-PRESS-10x14-HEAT-TRANSFER-MACHINE_W0QQitemZ300184884501QQihZ020QQcategoryZ57065QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I just had a good look and improvised. The timer that comes with it really has nothing to do with it. Its just a timer. I just keep my eye on the clock.

the pad appears to be the old type of carpet padding,before they started using foam. At least,thats what I used.

Its a fun project if you like building things like I do,and not expensive. PLus,if you don't like it,the griddle is excellent for making pancakes.

Well, that just looks too damn simple -- you always think there has to be a catch!

Can't wait for it to warm up a bit so I can head out to the garage and start building.

Thanks Banner -- Yer the greatest!!!  :you rock: