Big Mike

Signcut X2 PE question

Hi, I see it says in Marcels note somewhere on here (when searching under the term Signcut X2 PE) that you have to have the internet to get this version...

I'm assuming that means to simple go to the site and download this version correct? It couldn't possibly mean you have to always be connected to the net to use X2 PE?

I know that sounds silly - but downloading it for me, means removing the computer from my place of business, taking it to a place with internet connection - hopefully just downloading the complete X2 PE version and then taking it back to my place of business - if it means that you have to run it all the time (be on-line) that's an issue...

Someone clue me in.

Thanks so much.

Mike

They make a dongle version you can buy really cheap,and you don't have to be online at all to run it.Or you can run it in the LE mode with no connection.The limited edition has a few of the features missing that the PE version has.The dongle version would probably be best for what you need if you have to load up your computer to get to a connection.And if the connection you are planning on using is A dial-up,then it will take a little while just to download the program.

$340 for software isn't "really cheap" in anyones book. Even with the $99 certificate we're talking $240 which is a lot of money.

Unfortunately this is never mentioned anywhere in any of the auctions that are being run (that you HAVE to be on the internet to run the version everyone on this board suggestions).

Bad business practice there guys - regarding the plotter/cutter - I can live with the fact that ours came in all scratched up because all the metal parts are just thrown on top of each other - I can live with the scratches in the plastic body of the plotter/cutter because it's just visual - I'm after the physical ability of the machine.

Regarding that issue...

Zero instructions, but there are people on here saying they've never used a plotter/cutter and it works perfectly for them and it's their first time and.... The reality of it is, that the "language" to use these are not every day vocabulary so I'm wondering how true some of these posts are. No disrespect, but I've had prob 2 dozen guys in my business today some are NASA engineers and I said "Hey with no instructions walk over there and figure out how to type something up and cut it". Guess what - all failed.

Not that you cannot do it, but unless you know something about plotter/cutters and the terminology required, you're in the dark with these things. You're not going to be cutting in a few minutes as many have implied. The terminology of the text, figuring out how to align and things of that nature... we're in the dark. Just found where Marcel said there are some videos on the disc, we'll give them a shot as I just found that info out (that there are some videos on there).

At this point we got the cutter set up so it's cutting just the vinyl, and not the backing (test cuts), but we cannot get any interactivity between the computer and the plotter/cutter. Even after figuring out how to put text on the screen (easy enough just click on the "T" just like using Word Perfect or Microsoft Word - that's as far as we can get. Does it need to be exported, or do you just click on PRINT or :huh: It seems as if the computer and what we are seeing has no relation to the plotter/cutter. Very frustrating.

Once up and running I'm sure this will work just fine - once we figure out how to adjust the sizes of the text I'm sure it will be just fine... once we get the plotter/cutter to realize there is a computer hooked to it, I'm sure we'll be even better...

Anyone want to chime in? We deal with very technical items and software on a regular basis, but none is as frustrating as this.

Our "software" guy who owns a very sucessful computer business just smiled after trying to figure this out for a while - and he writes code! LOL

HELP. LOL

I guess we'll be calling in on Monday to see if we can figure this out. I'm sure it has to be something super simple that's not understood on our end.

Mike & Michelle

Guest fivestar

Sorry bud but I never even seen a plotter before I recieved mine.  You can believe me or not and you can "wonder" about my posts all you want.  Maybe your "computer guy" and "NASA engineers" need to read about all of 3 or 4 posts in this forum and they will be up and running in less then a half hr.  I get tired of ppl saying it's US Cutter's fault that they the customer can not figure it out.  Maybe, just maybe US Cutter thinks that the person who is bidding on the plotter has an ounce of knowledge about plotters.  I didn't have that ounce when I ordered mine either, but I came to this forum and was up and cutting my first vinyl within a half an hr.  Believe it or not I could really care less, maybe I should become a NASA engineer if they are "that smart".

Sorry for my rant but I get tired of the same old BS from people that think I or others are some kind of transplants on these boards.

I have a software program that I bought years ago when I started digitizing embroidery for myself that costs $5.000.00 .And if you price the flexisign program I bought,or any other commercial grade sign software,you will find that $350.00 is really quite cheap.And,even though I have been in the screen print - sign making - embroidery business for over 20 years,I have never used a cutter before in my life until I got R2.I had half of my wife's truck and our front door covered with vinyl the first day I got mine.And myself and others have posted pictures of our work.And even though I am a Texan,I don't sling a lot of bull!The pics show that.I guess it was easier for me to get going because I have been in graphics so long.I do know what it takes to get a design from sketch to a vector graphic.And it probably has helped me since I used to build computers,so I know the ways to check settings for conflicts.And I  don't know about the other people,but when I am able to do something that nasa people have a problem with,well that just makes me feel pretty good.You should be able to use signcut in the LE mode,and go to the left side and click on the text link and type anything  you want to try ,and then go to the top left and click on file,and then click on cut out.If your connections are right,it should cut.On the graphic designs.If you will use the inkscape that came with the signcut cd.You can open a graphic (preferably something like b/w clipart) and save it as an eps format,then you can open it in signcut and let it compile the graphic (which can take quite a while on large graphics).But in the eps or ai format,it should compile in a cuttable form.Then you go to file and click cut out and it should cut.

On a serious note - thanks Billy - we're going to be at your and Marcel's mercy until we get this figured out.

We've read the bulletin board until we're blue in the face, and all the included instructions and installation info we could find with the plotter/cutter and here on the site.

What happens is we get right down to where we have pulled the program up on the computer screen, type in any text and hit CUT OUT under the FILE TAB and nothing is happening.... we saw where someone else had the same problem and I think she said she had to hook it up serial port instead of parallel port... we'll hold off on that until we hear diff from someone in the know.

FIVESTAR - we didn't mention any names yet it appears you felt we were attacking you or something - sorry if you felt that way.

Mike & Michelle

Hi,

to make a software perfectly intuitive is nearly impossible because as humans we are so different and so are our knowledges.

But every day there is nearly 40 new users of SignCut-X2, people coming from all over the world, and it is rare that they meet huge difficulties.

And when they get problems we use to solve them together rather quickly.

The category with most difficulties are those who used another vinyl cutting software before, because they expect something else and it is hard to think in another way than before.

It is really rare that we hear from people that it is hard to learn SignCut-X2, but it is often they say it is easy. However, we are surprised ourself that people are able to find out so much by them self, because in fact this is a most complex task. There are so many aspects, so much to learn about.

To the previous SignCut we wrote of thick manual, you can still get it from your web-account. It describes that version in details, but unfortunately just a few people did read it, but we still recommend a read through. However begin with the built in help. Just press the F1-key to get it. Also read through the tutorial that can be found at the web-account as well.

And look through the videos. Our intention is to produce much more of that stuff as soon as we are able to.

Finally, the first SignCut version were released 1991. Then 13 people had been working for 18 months. Since then we have continuously working hard on making improvements and the base for that work has been the support issues. All the time we have had focus on to reduce the number of support issues. In fact we have released more than 1.000 subrevisions and major revisions during those 16 years. We still release an average of more than 1 subrevision per month.

As a result the number of support issues are very low today and that is an important reason to why we can sell our software at such a low price.

But on the other hand, we can't give it away, because we want to be able to keep on the improvement work and to give quick help when you need it and to keep the software perfectly up to date and to afford making videos that teaches how to utilize SignCut-X2 efficiently.

Because, to be honest, when we meet users at their works, it is common that we are able to inform about many useful abilities that they had no clue about that is available, this often despite many years of use.

I can assure all of you that there are many horsepowers under the hod that takes studies in the manuals to utilize. Some of them took us years to realize how to implement, so it is not that easy to make them intuitive.

And despite they can be useful in daily work, people rarely ask about them, because they do not expect to find them there and it is not often they have the time to dive deeper in to the software. At least that is the impression we have.

So we really hope that we will get the time during this year to make more videos that really shows more of all that power you already have at your fingertips.

It's amazing how many "NASA engineers" I've talked to working in tech support :huh:

Big Mike, you have to go on the internet to order a plotter from us so I don't think it is a stretch to assume that most people using our plotters are plugged in, and as mentioned before there is the LE Signcut version for those who are still don't have Internet. If you are trying to use a stand alone computer that isn't connected maybe you should consider looking into a wireless router to share your connection throughout your business or home with all your computers. You should be able to get the router and card for well under a 100 bucks and your NASA buddies can probably set it up for you.

It sounds like you are having some simple connectivity problems with the plotter. If you still can't get the plotter talking then call us and I'm sure we can walk through some setup steps that will get you going.

LOl This is the Funniest Post I think I have read on here! "HEy Marcel It is your fault that I cannot work this machine and that I have no basic computer or graphic knowledge "" That is to good !!!

Hey Mike Perhaps you should read around or ask questions on that you and your software guy and your nasa engineers do not understand?  Actually your kinda setting your self up for faulire here bubba... Instaed of asking for soulutions to your problems your kinda calling people out but only from your own ignorance?  And belive me I can see why you have ticked some people off ..you basicaly called us liars and frauds .. SO If thats the way you intend to come off have fun figuring your problem out on your own pal .

Its not the software guys .....Its the operator !!

Good luck in your sign business venture !!! ! ! Sounds like you might need it !

BEARDOWN

I highly agree Beardown!

I think that If I ever get tired of the sign business, I will go work at NASA! After all, I feel that I am more than qualified...!

Wow, tough crowd in here. Hey Big Mike you have to admit you painted a pretty funny picture when you started talking about NASA engineers trying to figure out a plotter, but don't worry about all the jokes in this posting. We do want to help you get the plotter working so just call us during business hours or email me the specifics of your problem and we'll see what we can do to get you plotting. 

There is definatly a great bunch of guys here to help. Haven't seen support like this in a long time.

-Mark

I'm not a NASA engineers...lol  But don't you half to have Corel Draw for SignCut X2 to work..?

signcut x2 is a stand alone program.It doesn't use any bootstrap graphics program to run.I saw in another one of your posts that sign tools was signcut.Does it actually say that it's signcut,or does it just resemble the program in the layout?

It said SignCut X2 on the cd...But I might be wrong about the hole thing..I was talking Beardown and he said he would set me up with some software...But he didn't tell me if he sent anything yet or not..I know that SignTools 3 is senting me a demo CD...and I bet Beardown sent the SignCut X2...

Here try this http://www.signgo.com/download/index.html ...Download the Sign Go full version ...... This is very simple to use ..... Also when the 30 day trial is up ..... you can go back and download the Lite version for an additional 30 days ........   

I recommend this software ...I love it before all my trials ran out .... and if you wanted to purchase the lite verion its $139 I think

Best of luck ! ! !

;D  hay i am bum and dummer i have only three days playing and found if you hit the F1 key it will tell you what you need to do just look I have cut 20 signs or decails so far