zx360

first wrap work

for most of them i started at the middle and worked out, for the center radio surround piece i started at the top worked down. not sure it was the best method, but it worked

Guest Marek

Very nice  , I have thought about trying this in the past but never did because I didn't think I had the patience for it . Congrats on the work it looks great . :rolleyes:

That's looks Great! I've been considering doing this to my car and I think you just sold me on it. Congrats on a clean install!  :rolleyes:

Nice work.  That takes patience.  When I owned a vinyl shop and dids wraps we would use 3M Primer 94 to promote adhesion.

First Clean with Alcohol then use the primer 94.  Really helps.

Jim

im glad to hear the 3m primer 94 works i just ordered it for the next set. any other tips jim? i really appreciate them.

Josh

I got the wrap from Fellers. Dont have a number near me right now as im not in the office. but its oracals carbon fiber wrap in BLACK.

I am sure you have heard these tips....

if you are printing the stuff make sure it dries 24 hours before laminating.

Use a good laminate I always liked the 7 year stuff.

I always took off accessories instead of cutting around them. For exampleL handles, locks, etc.

Make sure surface is clean...  Usually start with good foaming window cleaner.  Then alcohol, then use the primer.  I think they make a special pre-wash for wraps.  I have not used but would give it a try.  If it was on a vehicle I would bring it to a truck wash in town that would do a acid wash.

When done installing wrap I would edge seal any exposed edges and go over deep contours with the heat gun again.

Plan on spending time on prep.  Prep is very important.

Have enough people.  I would wrap 53' semi trailers and we would have one guy on top of trailer, one in middle and one on bottom for the install part.  The panels would be 48" wide and up to 12 feet long so they would get heavy.  Don't want to mess a panel up.  Hire young kids to wash and clean surfaces ahead of us.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head...

Jim

i appreciate the reply, i spent a lot of time on prep but never knew about the 3m adhesion promoter. Do you put that over the whole piece (in this case small interior pieces) or just on the deep curves and things. Most of these pieces ill be doing here then shipping across the country and the owners will be installing. I just want to make sure they arent going to fall apart a week after these guys get them.

thanks again for the tips, i love learning this stuff

Did you see about getting more yards in 1 sheet today? I didn't get a chance to call and am ordering a sheet tomorrow for a friend.

Also, What are you finding is the best way to charge since you have to buy a big sheet?

i did not ask, i totally forgot. but i have someone wanting 60x7ft so i might be calling again tomorrow i swear ill remember one day lol...

as for charging, ive been charging per piece and how much time/ pain in the ass i think its going to be... i dont really have a pricing guide for myself on this yet... items 18"x18" and under that are mostly flat ive been doing for $40 + shipping + a core return (the price is $100 then im refunding $50 of it when i get their old piece back) its a very standard thing on these car sites im part of.

the bigger items im getting $80 or more for because of size and time...

this was the first ive done, so pricing may change in the future as i get quicker but time will tell.

The primer is just for the deep grooves and places where adhesion could be a problem.  Pretty much anywhere that you will have to heat the vinyl to manipulate it into place.  Also would use on fender edges or places that will get snow and ice build up. ( I live in northern mn).

Jim

yeah, im in WI so i know snow... all of these pieces are inside so no weather, but its good to know where to use it... do you put it on and then work your way to it or put it on right before you work it into the area? not sure if it comes with directions lol im hoping you guys can help me out enough to get away with it, i now have 6 orders for this stuff and ill have to buy even more material yet lol... not a bad thing :thumbsup:

not a bad price, but fellers sells 60" rolls. id like to see how they look side to side, from what ive seen the 3m di-noc looks like a dry carbon not a wet carbon which is more desirable (at lest to my crowd)

Very very well done. I have wrapped a few interior bits with a different brand carbon film and i must say yours came out much better. lol

I takes so much patience.  :thumbsup:

the oracal carbon looks much better than the 3M imo  :thumbsup:

Nice job! We do interior wraps as well, prep takes some time, wrapping is easier when you can take as many small parts out and wrapping them individually, then installing them back. A quick TIP for those wanting to learn how to do this is to buy some cheap vinyl and start playing, your going to mess up a couple a feet or maybe yards like we did, but in the long run it will pay off, we just learned how to wrap not to long ago. Goodluck