Sign in to follow this  
ericnord

Vinyl recommendations for Airbrush mask on compound surfaces

Hey everyone,

I have my first cutter coming soon (Copam 24"). I have received my samples from Oracle, but wanted to get some suggestions on what brand and model works good for small detailed (1/2" and less) masks on compound surfaces such as motorcycle helmets and bicycle frames.

I also need a brand/model of Transfer tape. I've heard good things about RTape, but what model would be best?

Thanks!

Cast vinyl (Oracal 751 and up) is more flexible than 651, but I'd try the 651 before I started using the more expensive 751. 

Regarding the compound surfaces, your apptape is going to heavily influence how much you can stretch and apply the vinyl over compound curve.  I like Rtape AT-42, which is a great clear tape.  However, it doesn't stretch, at all.  For compound stuff, I find myself using the tape to get the main part of the vinyl stuck down, then I sometimes remove the apptape and work the vinyl by hand..  Paper tape will stretch, which is a plus and a minus, depending on what you are doing.  Rtape may send you samples, or you could possibly get some from a supplier.

Thanks midwaste,

What about something in their masking line such as Oramask 810. I'm concerned that the 751 you recommended has too high an adhesion since I would want it to peel right up without leaving anything behind once airbrushed.

Thanks

Check out the paint mask films from the different companies, I have used some that I purchased from bearair, not sure of the brand, no markings,

It worked great, but working on compound curves usually requires some relief cuts.