Sign in to follow this  
Peachykeen

Can't connect---DB9 to 15???

I just got the MH721 and just realized I don't have a 9-pin serial port on my laptop.  How can I connect my cutter to my laptop?

Many thanks from a newbie!

didn't you get a usb cable with your cutter?  or else you will have to purchase a USB to serial connector/adapter.

Hi, Speeddoggy,

Yes, I have the USB cable and could connect with that, but after reading other posts about problems with USB connectivity, I thought I should forget that option.

I've read the newbie manual - well part of it - but I wasn't sure I understood the usb driver section:

"In case of a Creation/UScutter PCUT plotter and using USB directly from PC to plotter we advise you to download the following file to your desktop.

http://www.ftdichip.com//Drivers/CDM/CDM 2.06.00 WHQL Certified.zip"

Does this include the MH721 or is the driver on the installation CD?

As I said, I read too many posts about USB issues to feel comfortable using that option.

I appreciate any advice!

Peachy

Yea, 9-pin has always been more stable than USB, although many have never had an issue using USB so....

Do you have a desktop computer to use instead of your laptop? Maybe get a dedicated desktop with 9-pin for around $100, and use it only for the cutter.

I do have an 8-yr-old laptop with a parallel port I could use.  Is that a stable solution (as long as the dinosaur doesn't crash)?  I'll try the USB on my newer laptop first and see how it goes.

Thanks!

Peachy

I personally have used usb on all my cutters with a dedicated desktop computer and it has worked well.  Laptops are always more finicky

Define "finicky"!  I just did a couple of tests with the pen, and so far, so good - except I must have messed up the origin???  A couple of times after successfully plotting, the cutter dumped the paper (8.5" x 11") out the back instead of feeding it forward.

Another learning curve ahead...

Thanks again,

Peachy

Definition in regards to any particular acts of finickiness?  :thumbsup:  What have you seen your cutter do (or not do) when it's hooked up to a laptop via USB?  I'm obviously a newbie and don't know if operator error may have caused any weird things.

Thanks so much for all the help!

Peachy

I personally do not use a laptop but we have had several member with connectivity issues or software issue that go to a dedicated desktop with fewer problems - not sure why

If you're using a laptop USB port, make sure you don't have any other USB devices attached (mouse, external HD, etc). Most laptop MB are routed in a way that power is shared between all the USB ports, so you will subject yourself to more stopping in the middle of a cut, random cuts issues. And make sure your laptop is plugged in and not running from battery.

My laptop has 4 USB ports.  If I start noticing strange things, I'll start unplugging things.  I can't imagine doing without my mouse, though!  : )

Thanks for your help, Hockeygirl!

Peachy

If you're using a laptop USB port, make sure you don't have any other USB devices attached (mouse, external HD, etc). Most laptop MB are routed in a way that power is shared between all the USB ports, so you will subject yourself to more stopping in the middle of a cut, random cuts issues. And make sure your laptop is plugged in and not running from battery.

there was the member recently that theirs only worked right when on battery and not plugged in . . . still like the dedicated desktop