tinaski

This is to help some new people

Hi, I have GCC 5000-60 but I haven't purchased additional software and I don't like the Graphtec studio, most likely because of my vinyl experience is limited to Sure Cuts A lot and Cricut. I primarily  make signs/home décor and I mostly work with fonts and clip art.

What software do you recommend I buy? I think the Illustrator is more than what I need . I have a MAC and HP, I would prefer to user my MAC with my plotter.

My GCC has been collecting dust because I am frustrated with the Graphtec design studio and I am hesitant to spend the last of my cashed investments on a program that may be too much or not enough for me. Please advice as to what program I should use.

I have considered SCAL pro but I have researched that that software is "in the works".

You could download FREE  inkscape.org and design in it...   and use Free Signblazer Elements, (which can be downloaded here on the forum) design and cutting software with your HP.  It is older software with no updates. but it is FREE...

For a mac you are more limited..  Signcut  cutting software will work with a Mac. I think you can pay by the month,  or the Full version with the dongle for a life time. 

I know this is an older post, and I did go to the vinyl forum link to read. I had a question about what I read:

The writer: TINASKI mentions that the older MH machines are better (better mother boards) than the newer ones. I am wondering if I have the older ones. Happy to report that I've been pretty pleased with my machines. There have been a few problems, which have to do with cutter running straight lines clear through my designs sometimes. But I figured a way around that. I try to ungroup everything before cutting, Also, breaking designs apart, rather than cutting designs with "combined" objects seems to help. I try to do all my work in CorelDraw, then save down as Illustrator 3.x, exporting text to "curves" and then I have a file that I can cut without any extra nodes to cause the cutter to cut big slashes through my design.

My concern is over the fact that I have two of the MH721 machines, both are 24" cutters. They were both purchased within a year of each other.

The serial number on the one I am looking at now is: Serial 0216 3595

Would this machine be considered one of the older machines with a better mother board? I hope so!

Can anyone answer this for me?

Thanks so much!

I  taught my self everything at 56 years old..(factory closed after being there 30 years). . I knew nothing about this forum. in 2006 when I started.    And nothing about graphics and vinyl.  And I started with what would be considered a value cutter..  The best thing to do is READ..READ, READ,    and I still read and learn new stuff.

• Like 3

What ever you do don't give up. It takes just a little reading. Also stay on this forum religiously. People on here have more knowledge than you would belive. It's the only forum I have ever felt I could ask anything. Read,ask questions, and don't be afraid to make mistakes. I don't think there's anyone that won't help. There are a couple that seem abrupt, but they will still help. One thing you should know from a new guy. It can be addictive. I know that first hand. Also if you trying to make a living doing this. It seems awfully hard. That's why I'm indepently wealthy.