tinaski

This is to help some new people

Guest fivestar

There's the "pay it forward" I was talking about B) Excellent post and should be stickied.

• Like 1

Nice post.

A little clarification on the filetypes though, just because a file is an .eps, .svg, .ps (unlikely to be vector, actually), or any of those other types does not mean it's "cuttable" or vector.  All of those file formats have the potential to include raster elements that are not cuttable.  Simply saving a file in one of those formats is not going to make it vector/cut-ready.

IMO, this is the biggest thing people skip when trying to jump right into cutting, taking a little time to learn the basics of what a vector image is, and how it is different than raster.  It's probably also the biggest learning curve to creating and re-creating images/graphics for cutting, but that isn't necessary at first with the wealth of cuttable .eps' available here and elsewhere.

Yes your completly correct - I guess that sliped my mind you can take a jpeg and save it as an svg or eps but it's still not a cutable - you would have to vector the jpeg first- if you build something from scrach and save it as an eps or svg it then is cutable - if its does in programs mentioned above - thanks for clarifing

Not too bad, but could be better. Couple suggestions:

1. Spell-check your write-up and add punctuation where needed; EG: 'allot' isn't a word. The word 'cant' needs punctuation, like 'can't. There are some issues with capitalization as well. If you're going to write a tutorial, make it clean, easy to read and check those details (so you don't distract people who know better). Learn when to use 'an' vs. 'a' (indefinite articles). Learn the difference between were and we're as well as your and you're. There's one area where you wrote 'how' 4 times in a row.

You can also employ the services of someone who has a better command of English to check your work (if it's too much hassle for you personally). Writers are subjected to correction/editing all the time, and if you're going to re-post this as an instructional article you should really be fixing this sort of stuff. Spelling/grammar mistakes are distracting to your readers and easily-fixed.  

2. As others mentioned, a vector file alone isn't enough to make something 'cuttable', and noobs are probably not gonna know how 'vector' differs from 'raster'. I would recommend explaining this briefly. A 'cuttable' file is what's cuttable, not just whether it's vector or not. Perhaps, include a simple tutorial explaining how to get from bitmap to final cut.

3. Cutting software: You left out SignCut Prod Pro, which is a great piece of software; it's what I prefer in my own workflow. SignBlazer sucks (in my opinion of course) but at least the price is right (free). SignCut does have a cost associated but it's very reasonable.

4. You might want to add Photoshop as design software. You can convert your bitmaps through Inkscape, Illustrator, Corel, etc.

Good luck with it.

• Like 2

soapbox.gif

Did you have something to say, Dakota? I know people don't like their spelling corrected, but I didn't write the dictionary or invent the rules of English. It's one thing to critique casual writing, but this is a tutorial ostensibly intended for all vinyl-cutting noobs. Honestly, I would spell-check people's stuff if they asked me; this is what I meant by getting someone to read it for you. Some of us grammar/spelling nerds enjoy this sort of thing.  :)

• Like 1

Thanks, this came in completely at the right time. I still need to learn what layering is!! Also, I'm working with SignBlazer to see how a program works and if I am creative enough to figure it out and utilize enough to justify purchasing a cutter! I want to make car decals, gifts and signs for gates and sports. I'm looking for information on how to get a 4" decal and program it in/with SignBlazer. I have figured out how to go from raskering to vectoring and that you need to do that before you can cut. Just don't really understand what is going on between the rask and the vector. Also, would like to know where to download user legal clipart for my decals. I really appreciate the time you took to share with us newbies! And, I'm looking forward to getting out of the newbie lane although you have to start somewhere!!!

Easiest way is to hire someone to do it or do a search & read thru what was found . That is alot of typing for something that has been covered a zillion times already :)

Did you have something to say, Dakota? I know people don't like their spelling corrected, but I didn't write the dictionary or invent the rules of English. It's one thing to critique casual writing, but this is a tutorial ostensibly intended for all vinyl-cutting noobs. Honestly, I would spell-check people's stuff if they asked me; this is what I meant by getting someone to read it for you. Some of us grammar/spelling nerds enjoy this sort of thing. smile.gif

thanks to the OP, and glad to see I'm not the only spelling/grammar Nazi, although I'll be the first to admit, I'm not perfect either

• Like 1