scarecrowglass

hey US... heres a f******G tip!

Guest HowardI

Just seems like the kind of person who'd try to sue you for burns if he spilled his free coffee.

H

I've been kinda vocal against SBE too...I pretty much hate it, but hey it is free. I do think most people understand that when companies include free software, we're not always getting the top of the line stuff. On one hand, SBE is free, but you can pay over 4200 bucks for FlexiPro if you want to, and even that has bugs and other issues (just check the Flexi area). 

I wouldn't make any connection between SBE and the quality of US Cutter products.

What I did as a new decal cutter was try different things to suit how I like to work (I am super picky about tools working in a way I think is intuitive). I checked out SignCut (and became a fan), was super happy with Inkscape (and I've gotten decent at it), and I even learned Illustrator. I could list pages of complaints about SBE, but again, it didn't cost me a dime.  

Check out SignCut. It's reasonably priced and full of awesome.

Software that costs that much had better blow me - which I'm sure it does, but still can't afford it.

No...It doesn't...Unless it's been added since V7.6.  :thumbsup:

SBE is free at the end of the day and it does the job.  I actually used it to start and found it really easy to use, yes it maybe limited in some aspects but will still do 99% of most things you want it to do.  I actually use corel x5 to design now, saving as .eps and use SBE to cut.  If someone is simply wanting just text i will SBE as its so much quicker and just easier than anything else.

Like others have said put your hand in your pocket and actually buy some software that meets your needs rather than complaining about something that is free, you don't have to use it.

yeah, I dont know any better i guess.. I use SBE for everything, I even bough corel, but I havent a clue how to use it. lol

Wayne

yeah, I dont know any better i guess.. I use SBE for everything, I even bough corel, but I havent a clue how to use it. lol

Wayne

Wayne - there are a lot of great tutorials and books on Corel - it will really benefit you in years to come to get to know it.

have to agree with dakota, personally I found corel draw quite easy to get to grips with and is more user friendly than illustrator.  Like all software the more you use it and learn about it the easier it will become.  Its a much more powerful piece of kit than SBE and will definetly help you out.

SBE is great for free design and cut software and was well on it's way to being a MAJOR player in the cutting software business when the developer died suddenly about 3 years ago and the software has been in limbo without updates since.

Gotta wonder where we would be today if Jerry had not passed away

Im amazed at this ridiculous complaint.  It just shows how ignorant some people are in the world.  But there is a lot of good people too and idiots I guess just have to get their word out. So whatever even if people like this disturb me.

Kind of childish.

Im amazed at this ridiculous complaint.  It just shows how ignorant some people are in the world.  But there is a lot of good people too and idiots I guess just have to get their word out. So whatever even if people like this disturb me.

Kind of childish.

;D:)

Complain about free software,and complain about software you get at a great deal but haven't taken the time to learn.

"A poor workman always blames his tools."

Kind of childish.

;D:)

Complain about free software,and complain about software you get at a great deal but haven't taken the time to learn.

If they complain like that about "FREE" software, I'd like too hear what they've got to say about software that they've paid hundreds of dollar for.  It's still going to perform exactly the same way if you don't take the time to learn how to use it either.

Joe

I guess I'm missing something, because SBE is NOT nice and easy for me. Granted, I just got the plotter(well, the second one, after the first was a DOA), and I can't figure out this software to save my life.

I'm no rookie in computers either. I constantly use Photoshop and Illustrator, and other graphics software, and my tablet and other items to create. But this SignBlazers sure doesn't feel like a polished piece, certainly nothing like any other quality program operates in Windows. Feels like it was created in 1982.

Again, I know I just got the plotter, but I've been trying to figure out SBE for two weeks now, and I just can't get it. Everyone talks about SignCut, but i didn't get a copy of that. Wish I had, but I also wish I had bought a guitar instead of this plotter, now that I've had all these mind-numbing problems.

Most of the cutters purchased on EBAY do not come with Signcut.  You would have had to purchase on the US CUTTER website.  which also includes a better warranty on the machine.

I guess I'm missing something, because SBE is NOT nice and easy for me. Granted, I just got the plotter(well, the second one, after the first was a DOA), and I can't figure out this software to save my life.

I'm no rookie in computers either. I constantly use Photoshop and Illustrator, and other graphics software, and my tablet and other items to create. But this SignBlazers sure doesn't feel like a polished piece, certainly nothing like any other quality program operates in Windows. Feels like it was created in 1982.

Again, I know I just got the plotter, but I've been trying to figure out SBE for two weeks now, and I just can't get it. Everyone talks about SignCut, but i didn't get a copy of that. Wish I had, but I also wish I had bought a guitar instead of this plotter, now that I've had all these mind-numbing problems.

If you felt you was going to be as comfortable with the cutter out of the box as a printer then yes you should have bought the guitar.  this is a new process learning to work with vectors and work within that world.  on the other hand if you take the time to read the newbie manual and the software tutorials you can become proficient in a short time.  There is a learning curve.  alll of life has chanllenges - you can choose to overcome or be overcome

he also might have thought if he bought the guitar.  He would have been Santana the next day ....LOL    :huh: 

great analogy SD - so many people do when they are puter experts and thinks the vector world is gonna fit in.  would love to put them in a GIS shop and see them discover they are on another world. (no coffee yet this morning and still a little too honest :huh:)

My brother,with ZERO experience using a cutter or software,was cutting with Signblazer in 10 minutes. I can't think of anything about it that is difficult...not one thing. Of course, you have to make an effort to learn it. Maybe if the OP would post some actual problems he is having with the software..someone could help..instead of just dragging it down in general.

If you felt you was going to be as comfortable with the cutter out of the box as a printer then yes you should have bout the guitar.  this is a new process learning to work with vectors and work within that world.  on the other hand if you take the time to read the newbie manual and the software tutorials you can become proficient in a short time.  There is a learning curve.  alll of life has chanllenges - you can choose to overcome or be overcome

I know vectors. I am very proficient with Illlustrator, Photoshop, etc. Been working with those programs for years. I read the manual. I read it a few times before I even BOUGHT the plotter. I understood there would be a learning curve, as no one seems to get a plotter and have ZERO problems, especially when it's a USCutter. I was fine with that. But I didn't expect to recieve bad equipment and worse advice. Now I'm stuck with a giant paperweight that can't do anything but drag a blade across vinyl, tearing it instead of cutting it, because I have a faulty piece that they won't replace.

I am a damn good guitar player :huh: And a very good hand-cutter, I was just hoping to use a plotter to save me a lot of time and pull of more cuts, but this is a sign from the vinyl cutting gods that I should've stuck to using my hands, because this machine is going to be fun to throw off a building.

I have never heard of them not offering to replace a cutter if YOU mail it back at your expense for a new one (per their online agreement)  other than that they will send the new parts to get it going but that takes time

Kind of childish.

:huh::D

If they complain like that about "FREE" software, I'd like too hear what they've got to say about software that they've paid hundreds of dollar for.  It's still going to perform exactly the same way if you don't take the time to learn how to use it either.

Joe

Hundreds?  Try spending thousands.  Spending more doesn't eliminate problems.

Most of the cutters purchased on EBAY do not come with Signcut.  You would have had to purchase on the US CUTTER website.  which also includes a better warranty on the machine.

This is actually not accurate. Every one of our cutters comes with SignCut except for Roland and Graphtec units. We do not send SignCut with a Roland or a Graphtec because they come with proprietary equivalents.

OP: If you are having trouble with SignBlazer and you have Illustrator I highly recommend downloading and installing SignCut Pro. SignCut integrates with adobe Illustrator extremely well and since you seem to already be proficient in Illustrator this will probably help greatly. If you would like some pointers on SignBlazer Elements just give me a call or read any of the resources that we have available. CRD has a great newbie manual that is available on this forum. We also have a support site (www.support.uscutter.com) which has a knowledge-base and a download section with manuals, guides, and all sorts of other helpful items specifically for the software and the cutter that you are trying to use. In short, the resources that you need are completely available to you. You need to choose whether or not you want to learn how to use this software this machine.

• Like 1

I have been gone from the forum for a while.. Too dang busy to even stop and read it. but I see there are still the one or two people who think they should be able to get into a complicated business that requires a HUGE learning curve to to be proficient. Yes you can be cutting in a few minutes if you take the time to read the manuals, but you will be learning for years to come to be able to efficiently make items that are of a quality level that you can sell with confidence.

I started out with SBE, and it is absolutely the Easiest program to use for cutting. The problem most have is that it does not have a standard "Winblows" interface. If you ignore the lack of a cookie cutter interface and figure out what the actual program will do then you will get some where. SBE made me enough money in a few months to upgrade. I picked up a copy of FlexiSign pro 8 from someone who thought it was "Too Complicated to use" for less that 1/4 the new price. If I had, had the money I would have owned his 48" Graphtec too.

When I first started Flexi, I was clueless. Things that came easy in SBE were a nightmare for me until i learned the terminology and the interface. I still go back to SBE occasionally for a couple of things that it does automatically that I would have to design in Flexi.

And Yes I have used Illy, PS, inkscape, signcut,and CD and all have their points, but I have gone to a piece of software that was designed for the sign cutting world. As was SBE. That's why they work so well.

Kevin

This is actually not accurate. Every one of our cutters comes with SignCut except for Roland and Graphtec units. We do not send SignCut with a Roland or a Graphtec because they come with proprietary equivalents.

OP: If you are having trouble with SignBlazer and you have Illustrator I highly recommend downloading and installing SignCut Pro. SignCut integrates with adobe Illustrator extremely well and since you seem to already be proficient in Illustrator this will probably help greatly. If you would like some pointers on SignBlazer Elements just give me a call or read any of the resources that we have available. CRD has a great newbie manual that is available on this forum. We also have a support site (www.support.uscutter.com) which has a knowledge-base and a download section with manuals, guides, and all sorts of other helpful items specifically for the software and the cutter that you are trying to use. In short, the resources that you need are completely available to you. You need to choose whether or not you want to learn how to use this software this machine.

I did download and install SignCut Pro, and I LOVE IT! Very easy to use, LOVE the interface.

Problem is, now my one-week trial has expired. How can I get a copy? The brand new 34" plotter costs almost as much as they want to charge for the software.  I did buy through ebay, but you said that doesn't matter. I really don't consider SignBlazer a "proprietary equivalent;" am I out of luck?

Please give me a call so that I can assist in recovering your software license. 888-298-8143