Sign in to follow this  
russdabuss

Removing Decals

Hello,

I have a painted aluminum boat that I want to remove some of the decals and detail stripes. What is the best way to do this.  I have removed certain things in the past and have had not so good luck getting it 100% off. It seems likes there is always some of the adhesive that wont come off and it seems like once you remove one that has been on a long time, you see that outer edge of where the decal used to be...:thumbsup: I have tried lighter fluid- (I know, not good) and also rubbing alcohol. these did not even work that great and it seemed like it faded the paint around it a bit too. 

Any good ideas for a "Easy" way to remove?

Thanks for your time

Heat the decals with a heat gun and pull slowly.  Hair dryer can be used if needed.  If there is adhesive left I like the 3M adhesive remover.  Make sure to try it on a hidden area to make sure it does stain or something.  it shouldn't.  Goo Gone works good sometimes.

Good Luck

Guest Marek

You can also go to a autobody supply shop and pick up a "body eraser" . This is a rubber wheel that mounts in your drill . I have used this with great result on stubborn 10 year old factory car decals .

The rubber wheels work great.

Don't bother with rubbing alcohol, get some denatured alcohol and use that instead.  I also like the plastic razor blades.

Thanks for the info ALL- I have used the plastic Razors with OK luck. What is Denatured Alcohol- Where do you get this?

I do not have a heat gun but will try my wife's hair dryer if she lets me :thumbsup:

Thanks

Get a cheap heat gun at walmart, will work much better and faster than a hair dryer, and you can get denatured alcohol at walmart also or any home center or paint store.

OK- Got a cheap heat gun- Worked great!  Also used a razor blade to help some areas (was VERY careful of paint). Then I bought Goof Off!!!  Wow, now that stuff works!!  Thanks everyone  :thumbsup: