scarecrowglass

best tutorial on inkscape ive found!

i have been lookin for easy ways to learn, and came across this guys stuff, and no joke i just watched the vids, and got no problem making most things i got into this for!!

************ dead link removed by mod ****************

• Like 1

go to Youtube. Search for "inkscape Tutorial'. There are a BUNCH.

thanks skarcrow - will leave it sticked then  = just got back in from moving daughter for 3rd day and hopefully we can get the old place clean tomorrow and be done.  this is not my neat clean daughter - it is the other one that requires lots more work

• Like 1

I just have the ONE daughter but, She's that messy one you mentioned. I can relate.

• Like 1

I put this info in another forum thread but Lynda.com has an excellent Inkscape Essential Training by Mike Rankin online video https://www.lynda.com/Inkscape-tutorials/Inkscape-Essential-Training/418854-2.html

It is 5hrs long. Lynda.com offers a FREE 10 day trial too so if you get motivated, you can watch this title for free within that timeframe.

Create great vector graphics with Inkscape, the open-source illustration software. In this Inkscape tutorial, Mike Rankin, a design professional for over 20 years, covers everything from installing the software to outputting files for print and the web. Follow along to learn how to work with vector paths; draw shapes; add colors, patterns, and gradients to drawings; transform objects by scaling, rotating, and shearing; and creating special effects with Inkscape's nondestructive filters. Members don't need any prior experience with Illustrator or other drawing apps to get the most out of this course. Just download Inkscape and start following along.

Topics include:
  • Downloading and installing Inkscape
  • Creating new documents
  • Importing AI and EPS files in Inkscape
  • Working with input devices like tablets
  • Drawing basic shapes
  • Scaling and rotating objects
  • Adding fills and strokes
  • Using Inkscape extensions
  • Adding and editing text
  • Printing and exporting Inkscape artwork
  • Like 1

Inkskape is a nifty tool for sure.

Check with the libraries in your area. My library offers free Lynda Access with library account 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2016 at 0:00 AM, Jburns said:

Inkskape is a nifty tool for sure.

Check with the libraries in your area. My library offers free Lynda Access with library account 

That's awesome if your library has access! I don't think mine has but I haven't asked yet (makes mental note to ask). They did go to free library cards (access though) for locals where it used to be paid annually.

There is also a book (both printed and electronic PDF) called Inkscape - Guide to a Vector Drawing Program 4th edition (covers version 0.48 but can extend to 0.91) by Inkscape guru Tavmjong Bah ( http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html_old/ ) and published through Pearson. It's tremendous. You may also be able to get this through your local library.

http://www.informit.com/store/inkscape-guide-to-a-vector-drawing-program-9780132764148

Edit: I see Skarekrow published some of his links also.

So it turns out my library does have access to the entire Lynda.com library! SOOOOO AWESOME! I did end up doing the Inkscape Essential Training by Mike Rankin and it's fantastic! HIGHLY RECOMMEND this title. He's easy to follow and understand. His cadence is perfect. Just a great series to watch. Took 5 hours and worth every second. He covers a LOT of ground in 5 hours. Lynda offers a free 7 day trial if you can't get access through your library. Do it, you won't be sorry.

Now that being said, I am very sad that Inkscape doesn't have CMYK printing capabilities...it felt like a kick to the stomach finding this out. Mike has a video on this in the series and talks about it in depth but it's not until the end of the title...grrrrr!

• Like 1