Sign in to follow this  
Pastimes

Oracal vinyl being marred by Lasercut cutter!

Not sure if this should be posted under "Vinyl"  or "Cutters", but here goes:

I've cut a lot of heat press vinyl and moved into sign vinyl (specifically Oracal 651). What is happening is that the grit texture from the cutter's roller is being embedded by the rubber pinch rollers into the vinyl itself. It actually mars the surface of the vinyl the length of the cut on both sides!

I use the Lasercut 24". There is no tension adjustment for the pinch roller and this does not happen with heat transfer vinyl.

I'm careful to have slack on the vinyl so that it's not being pulled too tightly.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on here?

It's becoming a costly problem.

Thanks!

The grit texture will disappear when applied . . . Just one of the differences in the cutters.  It is not a problem but when you get to a copam or higher machine they use a different roller design.

Guest YHC

I agree, I use the LP myself and know what your talking about with the roller trails. But I haven't had any problems with them showing up on any of my work when applied.

Like Dakota and LDS said, the texture that gets pressed into the vinyl will go away after application for vinyl and after being heatpressed on to shirts for transfer material. Nothing to worry about, just something to deal with meanwhile you weed.