Guest Marek

T-shirt experiment

TSQUIRTZ: I didnt even think of the bleach ruining the needle. I have personally never put chems through my airbrush. Only paint and paint thinner to clean. I was merely advising a good airbrush if it was going to be used for more than that. I have heard ALOT of good things about the VL's though. Sorry for the poor airbrush suggestion  :rolleyes:

Thanks for the airbrush advice, I just wanted to warn you.

I personaly don't own a dagger yet, but would love to try one.

Can't ever have enough toys! :rolleyes:

Guest YHC

Can't ever have enough toys! :rolleyes:

Said that to my wife once and she about kicked the crap out of me :)

Hey Marek, Your shirts are looking better and better.  :thumbsup::lol:

How long would you recommend to leave the bleach on just to lighten the black color a tad? I would like to make a shirt with a graphic that doesn't show up unless you're like a few feet from it. Do you think it's possible to do with bleach?

Thanks

Guest Marek

Hey Windasm , thanks .

Ghost logo ..hmmm .. it will take some playing around but I think you could do it . There are 4 factors to consider

1-strength of bleach

2-time (how long you leave the bleach on )

3- heat

4-material of shirt

1&2- I shoot the bleach full strength and play with the timing to get the color effects that I want , (start with the stuff that you want lightest ) for your app I would do a series of 3 trials  - thin the bleach with water 75% / 50% / 25% . the 25 % bleach may be too weak but it will give you lots of working time to peel and wash . Boomerbabe also suggested Antichlor , a product that stops the reaction . I have not used it yet but it is an option . Tsquirts suggested hydrogen peroxide to stop the reaction so you have options .

3 -heat -this is a chemical reaction process so if it is a warm day the color will fade faster than a cold day  .

4 material - this one I have noticed from trial and error . 100% cotton gives you the best results in color range  - from just off white to some nice red and copper tones to black . the more Poly you add the darker the light colors will be .

These are Jerzees 50% cotton 50% Poly

DSC_0744.jpg

DSC_0734c.jpg

And these are Midtown 100% cotton

DSC_0743.jpg

DSC_0742c.jpg

Guest Marek

I picked up a cheap ($30) dual action airbrush and gave it a shot today ..way different ..I need to learn not to stop the air before I pull off the trigger . I'm getting a little splatter when restarting .As for the rest of the technique ...welcome to another learning curve .. :thumbsup:

Here is the shirt I did today .100% cotton with the DAAB

DSC_0756.jpg

Guest fivestar
:thumbsup: WOW  :lol:  Excellent work.

Guest YHC

WOW Man! You are blowing my mind with these designs. Who new that bleach could be so much fun! :thumbsup:

LOL! Should have told you, The first rule of the d.a., KEEP THE AIR ON!  :thumbsup:

Man those just keep getting better!

Guest Marek

Ok . I've been a little busy with life lately so I haven't done much . I started playing with createx paint and vinyl mask . This was supposed to be a clean logo front and back ( no extras ) but I learned that I need to mask EVERYTHING !!. I got mask /overspray lines on it  ;) = the rest of the freehand mess . I heat set with a heatgun but I have not washed it yet . We'll see how it does in the wash .

DSC_0769.jpg

DSC_0768.jpg

Guest Marek

Eventually I will upgrade to a better brush . Right now I'm learning the ins and outs of brush control  and experimenting with different products ( paint & bleach ) . I really don't want to bugger up a nice brush yet . I figure if I cann get the flow control down witg a cheapo brush then it will be a treat to run a Talon or a Dagger .

Old VL is a very capable brush in the right hands, and Iwatas are a smooth as butta, but the parts are expensive.

Bang on the pasche for a while and if you like airbrushing and want to stick with it (paint, not bleach) you will love an Iwata!

This is a great thread,,

I havent even plugged my airbrush in for at least 2 years,, i have a few compressors and a few guns,,

I will so have to play ,,

MMM

Man! That's an incredible idea! I've been pondering it for a while, with respect to the process and the materials. I had an idea for how to create re-usable stencils. Two options: Since everyone (assumably) has a vinyl cutter, you can cut mylar stencils. If you get a piece of sheet metal (ferrous) and use magnets (lots of little ones) glued to the top side of the template to hold everything down. Another option is to cut stencils out of magnetic sheeting with a metal platen. Just thinkin...

Help, I tried this but I can't get the vinyl to stick to the shirt. What vinyl and transfer paper are you using?

Wow this thread was fun to read. It makes me want to try it. Wonder if it would work with a regular spray bottle, see what kind of effect it will give.

Wow this thread was fun to read. It makes me want to try it. Wonder if it would work with a regular spray bottle, see what kind of effect it will give.

These really are great shirts!

I used a regular spray bottle with a bleach solution an a navy blue 50/50 shirt to give it a distressed look, with a little more fade in the front, then sublimated a design on it. Cool vintage look. Love the vinyl stencil idea though.