Guest Marek

T-shirt experiment

Guest Marek

This is the design I will be doing next ..

shirtwebs.jpg

Guest kenya

That is UNREAL..... I love it.

It's very original !!!  :thumbsup:

Awesome job man, keep up the great work!

Can't wait to see more of these in the future. :thumbsup:

Really cool looking shirts! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And an airbrush will spray bleach really well and offer a better level of control.

Guest manwayvan

Man that is awsome..I love the look and the design..So did you use regular vinyl as a mask? Im lost on how you done it but it looks awsome

Ok, here goes my take on all this hype :thumbsup:

One design on the back for mine, not too good result. Other design in front for my wife, much better definition. Hers was a new tee mine was used and was stored somewhere in the house, I have no idea when was the last time it was washed and had tons of lint.

post-4739-12986553004848_thumb.jpg

post-4739-12986553005443_thumb.jpg

post-4739-12986553006123_thumb.jpg

post-4739-12986553006602_thumb.jpg

post-4739-12986553023977_thumb.jpg

post-4739-12986553024346_thumb.jpg

post-4739-12986553024851_thumb.jpg

post-4739-12986553025204_thumb.jpg

Guest Marek

Hey Pro , nice work !! I really like that lion ! :thumbsup: It's funny that you mention that your fist shirt was an old one ..so was mine and I got the same blotching around the vinyl . Today I'm doing a couple toddler shirts . I'm gonna fire up the airbrush for that (thanks TSQUIRTS) . I'll also photo the process and post it up . I think I want to try to go back and airbrush some color into the shirts after . I just got 8 requests for my shirts and a possible 50 shirt run for a past customer ( one I did a logo design for) So I need to do a demo shirt for them .

Guest YHC

I just got 8 requests for my shirts and a possible 50 shirt run for a past customer ( one I did a logo design for) So I need to do a demo shirt for them .

Wow that's great! Glad to hear the idea has gotten you some work. You should try and do the reverse effect and see how they turn out as well. Meaning, take a stencil and only bleach the image instead of the shirt. This might allow you to reuse the stencil instead of making allot of vinyl cuts of the same image. Unless you have found a way to reuse the one you have on more then one shirt.

I'm likin' all this, thinkin about mixing up a little dye and throwin' it in the mix. :thumbsup:

Guest Marek

Nice Squirt ..fire it up !!! Lets see it . I did 4 today ..still playing with it ..one was a ribbed tank for my kid --HUGE fail ..lots of bleed one is the promo for the possible 50 , one was a "star " shirt for my kid (colors work well too) and then I tried a dri-fit shirt ..Now this one was interesting...the bleach didn't do anything to it !!!!!! I was a little disappointed ...soo I said F it and loaded up some automotive touch-up paint ( just because it was handy ) into the airbrush and fired away . I'll post the results later  I gotta  go get the ruggrat from daycare .

Guest Marek

These are the shirts I did today .. Black cotton , grey dri-fit ,ribbed pink tank and an orange cotton tee .

DSC_0697.jpg

I'll do a bit of a walk through for those that don't get the process . As suggested I decided to try reversing the stencil .

Here it is weeded .

DSC_0698.jpg

Transfer to shirt.

DSC_0699.jpg

Pull off transfer and roll over the vinyl to get a good edge

DSC_0700.jpg

Hang it up ..I put a board in it to make sure I didn't spray through to the backside

DSC_0710.jpg

Spray...

width=399 height=600http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/MarekN/shirt/DSC_0714.jpg[/img]

wait a few minutes and pull off the vinyl

width=399 height=600http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/MarekN/shirt/DSC_0715.jpg[/img]

Guest Marek

And here is the promo shirt ...Now I haven't used an airbrush much in the past and decided to try it out .. I will use it in the future just to highlight stuff . I ended up using the spray gun to even it out because the lines and marks from the airbrushing were just too defined .(probably because I'm a rookie ) .

DSC_0705.jpg

pre-wash

width=399 height=600http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/MarekN/shirt/DSC_0717.jpg[/img]

3 washed and dried

DSC_0720.jpg

And the happiest 2 1/2 year old in the world .."Daddy, you made me a star shirt !!"

width=399 height=600http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/MarekN/shirt/DSC_0722.jpg[/img]

Guest Marek

Thanks , honestly while I was working on the demo shirt I thought I screwed it up with the airbrush ...It really looked like crap until I blended it out with the gun .

Very interesting twists on shirts.Be real interested in how the bleach spots do over time. When i was working for maytag dishwasher plant i had to service the bleach pumps on the assembly lines. After a few washings the bleach spots on my clothes became holes.  But then the bleach we were using was a lot stronger than laundry bleach B)

This is some seriously cool shit you got goin on here.  I think the concern about the bleach weakening the shirt is valid, but it won't stop you from selling them.

The ribs on the pink tank screwed that up, but im not surprised, those ribbed tanks suck for just about everything.  Might help to shoot it flat, rather than hanging, but its still going to bleed through the ribs.

Wash the shit outta that orange shirt and report back!  Like I said, it doesn't really matter, because they are great and you could sell a ton of em, but i'm curious.

Are you just shooting straight bleach?

One thing I learned in my textile classes is if using bleach for discharge was to rinse the garment in plain water 1st, then rinse again in an antichlor solution which helps to stop the bleach from reacting further. Antichlor can be purchased at ProChemical and Dye. This the website:

www.prochemicalanddye.com/store/product.php?productid=16675&cat=249&page=1

I've attached the MSDS and the instructions (I hope).

I love discharge and dyeing aspects of textile decorations.

Hope this is helpful.

Anti-Chlor MSDS.pdf

Antichlor Instructions.pdf

Anti-Chlor MSDS.pdf

Antichlor Instructions.pdf

This is a really cool idea.

I'm with those that have concern over the bleach causing holes. If I tried it I think I would use diluted bleach at first.

I've made only a couple of those shirts and used 50/50 water/bleach.

My sprayer of choice at the moment was this one (don't have a spray paint gun yet)

C800583_fl.jpg

Thanks for the tip Boomer!

I am going to try a few shirts this afternoon and will have to use hydrogen peroxide for now.

Guest Marek

Boomer ..Thanks for the tip If I run into problems with the shirts I will definitely try that .

WWpro.. that sprayer explains why your shirts loo so evenly bleached ..

Squirts .. Hydrogen peroxide...No sh!t ..post the results .I haven't even thought of that .

Midwaste .. Thanx , I'm gonna stay away from the ribbed for now .I may have gone a little heavy on the bleach with it because I wanted the design to go white and not light pink . Most of the bleaching I do is not all the way through the shirt so that may help with durability .  Here are the pics of it . I meant to put them up earlier .

And yes ., I'm shooting straight bleach but it is a thicker bleach than most . It is Clorox Ultimate Care Bleach . Here is a link to it . It is about the consistency of a milkshake but it sprays really well .

http://www.clorox.com/products/overview.php?prod_id=ucpb

So this is the shirt from the outside

DSC_0717.jpg

and here it is inside out ..as you can see most of the bleach didn't make it through

DSC_0731.jpg

Marek

Here is a dye supply house closer to you: Maiwa- www.maiwa.com/index.html

They have 2 stores in Vancouver, 2 on Granville Island and the other in east Vancouver. I've attached the web link for the sodium metabisulphite that I mentioned in an earlier post.

www.canada-shops.com/Stores/maiwa/c378123682.2.html

I had the great fortune to spend nearly 2 weeks in Vancouver several years ago and was blown away. Spent an evening on Granville Island, which was wonderful. Some of my most treasured memories are of the time I spent there. I really hope that I will be able to return someday. It was fantastic.