Guest Marek

T-shirt experiment

Guest Marek

So, I have been thinking that down the road I'm going to buy a heat press . When I went to put on my shirt this morning I noticed a couple bleach spots on it ..DAMN ...wait ....hey ...Bing  :) ... So I fired up the cutter with some sign vinyl (my logo) pulled out the autobody HVLP touch up gun loaded it with bleach and ....Taadaaa.. Custom shirt .... still want to get a heatpress tho' .

I think I could drop the pressure down a couple pounds and prevent the spot pooling from the vinyl or put more on to make it look deliberate ...

DSC_0656-1.jpg

I like it, really out of the box there.

So, there's no vinyl on that shirt ? You just used it to mask the areas where you don't want bleach?

You should try airbrushing with bleach, more control, but don't know how doable that is, just an idea.  :)

Nice!!

I bought a few t-shirts a couple of days ago just to experiment with. Do you let the bleach set very long on the shirts?

Guest Marek

Thanks folks , I think I'll play around with the process a little more .

So, there's no vinyl on that shirt ? You just used it to mask the areas where you don't want bleach?

You should try airbrushing with bleach, more control, but don't know how doable that is, just an idea.  :)

No vinyl on the shirt ..I just used it for mask . I agree about more control with an airbrush but the one I have has a small tip and it would take FOREVER to do a 4XL shirt . My spray gun is just a small touch up gun so it can reduce flow quite well .

I bought a few t-shirts a couple of days ago just to experiment with. Do you let the bleach set very long on the shirts?

I let the bleach set for about 10 min then the color was not changing anymore so it tried heat ( hairdrier ) this made it go a little lighter . Then I pulled the vinyl mask and washed the shirt .

You're onto something my friend ! :)

Now use it/wash it and report back about the duration of the garment.  :)

Cool, airbrush the bleach before you put the heat press on. to avoid the pooling. Of course the vinyl will pool like a mother.

Guest YHC

Looks cool and I like your logo :)

I to was wondering how the garment would hold up with that much bleach in it.

You're onto something my friend ! :)

Now use it/wash it and report back about the duration of the garment.  :thumbsup:

Guest Marek

Isn't is weird how accidents turn into great ideas?!

For sure . The prosses is kind of a PITA but I have more time than $ right now so why not .

Looks cool and I like your logo ;D

I to was wondering how the garment would hold up with that much bleach in it.

Now use it/wash it and report back about the duration of the garment.  ;D

Thanks , I have not taken a pic of the inside of the shirt but most of it is surface bleach there are just a couple spots that saturated ..we'll see how they do .

Cool, airbrush the bleach before you put the heat press on. to avoid the pooling. Of course the vinyl will pool like a mother.

There is no heatpress vinyl on the shirt!!!!!

Guest Marek

Here is the second shirt ..

The lines are much cleaner with no pooling + I did front and back . Don't mind the fat model ...

I'm on a budget .lol

DSC_0661b.jpg

DSC_0662b.jpg

Here is the second shirt ..

The lines are much cleaner with no pooling + I did front and back . Don't mind the fat model ...

I'm on a budget .lol

DSC_0661b.jpg

DSC_0662b.jpg

Looks CRAZY man. ( by the way CRAZY means good) lol.

good work, I can see you selling a bunch of those...

Awesome, man !

Now, you HAVE to do a video showing us the process. You got me looking for an airbrush on eBay just to get started into this and then move to another stuff if I ever pick up any skills.

I really like this. Great job.  Please explain the procress. I don't quite understand.. ;D

Guest YHC

I think I know the steps hes taking. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any.

1. Find a plain colored shirt. (He is using black)

2. Apply the vinyl images you want on the shirt. (The vinyl acts as a mask for the bleach)

3. Fill your air gun up with bleach. (I think you could get a spray bottle and get some what the same effect)

4. Mist the bleach on the shirt not letting it build up on the vinyl or you will have big bleach spots like on his first one. (Better not to spray right on the vinyl to help keep this from happening.

5. Let it sit on the shirt for about 10mins then remove vinyl and wash.

I think that's about it. Should be able to do this with most colors.

PATENT THAT QUICK!!!! LOL!

Very cool stuff, now all ya gotta do is get some UFC fighter to wear it and you can charge 100 bucks a pop fer tshirts LOL!

Guest Marek

Now, you HAVE to do a video showing us the process. You got me looking for an airbrush on eBay just to get started into this and then move to another stuff if I ever pick up any skills.

Hold on !! The airbrush will take you forever to do a shirt ..this is the gun I use ..It's only $24.99 .... 

http://www.princessauto.com/air/paint-guns/8155582-mini-hvlp-spray-gun?keyword=touch+up+spray

I would do a vid but I don't have a camera yet . Don't worry about your skills from what I've seen they are just fine .

I think I know the steps hes taking. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any.

1. Find a plain colored shirt. (He is using black)

2. Apply the vinyl images you want on the shirt. (The vinyl acts as a mask for the bleach)

3. Fill your air gun up with bleach. (I think you could get a spray bottle and get some what the same effect)

4. Mist the bleach on the shirt not letting it build up on the vinyl or you will have big bleach spots like on his first one. (Better not to spray right on the vinyl to help keep this from happening.

5. Let it sit on the shirt for about 10mins then remove vinyl and wash.

I think that's about it. Should be able to do this with most colors.

Yup you nailed it Leigh .Only other thing that I do is .. After I pull off the tranfer paper I use a teflon Roller and rolll over the vinyl to make sure that it is stuck down .

Guest Marek

I really like that back piece.  What is it from?

That is the left and right side to a M/C gas tank flame design I did for a customer .

Here are the mock up pics that I sent him ..I have not received pic of the installed flames yet .

DSC_0601.jpg

DSC_0665.jpg