Sign in to follow this  
john!

Stand Your Ground On Tough Customers!

Hey guys, Just wanted to let everyone know a tip to stand your ground when a customer is being tough on you.

I had a guy want some lettering changed on his enclosed trailer a few days ago, no problem i told him a price and he said alright.

Then he says "oh i want a name for my boat included in that too, just throw that in for the price since it's just extra material"  :)

I then tell him it will be a bit more because that's a different graphic not related to the job in a different color as well.

Well today was the day i drop the graphics off and pick up the check and he wants to haggle over price and then not pay the state tax on the total.

He moaned and complained to me for 10 minutes and said that he will be writting the check for the amount WITH tax but will not be using me again for work.

I simply told him that all state customers pay sales tax and he is no different than any other in state customer. He then says "if i write it to your name personally will you wave the tax" LOL

I am not so happy about losing a customer but this goes to show you if you stand your ground about your business, there is some good that will become of it. He was a customer who has haggled me in the past and i'm sure once he goes to the shops up the road he will be back since he is all about the lowest price.

I wish you all the best for those who get customers like this  :)

I am happy that I can turn customers like that away. Life is too short to deal with assholes.

that is why there is a BLOCK buyers  section, on EBAY.  Even if I see a buyer that gave negative feedback  to another seller,for something really stupid.  I will block their dumb a**es,  CAUSE I sure don't want to deal with them either.  I have seen some buyers just really abuse the feedback system,  give everybody negatives.  JUst being a**es!!!!

that is why there is a BLOCK buyers  section, on EBAY.  Even if I see a buyer that gave negative feedback  to another seller,for something really stupid.  I will block their dumb a**es,  CAUSE I sure don't want to deal with them either.  I have seen some buyers just really abuse the feedback system,  give everybody negatives.  JUst being a**es!!!!

Good idea

I am happy that I can turn customers like that away. Life is too short to deal with assholes.

+1

My customers sometimes dont like the sound of their total, but yet they keep coming back because of the quick turn around time and quality product they receive.

My customers sometimes dont like the sound of their total, but yet they keep coming back because of the quick turn around time and quality product they receive.

Same here, The customer who i dealt with today will be back. He said he hasn't shopped me around but once he sees what the shops up the road charge, he will be back.

The one told me $68 for 2 1x8" decals and 2 6x18" decals in red and the others have a $85 minimum on orders. I know this when i did some market research  :-[

LOL I am glad i'm not the only one to do that.

With ebay I received my first negative a few days from some decals I sell.  The picture shows 3 designs all in black, with 3 other pics of the same designs in blue, yellow and red.  A new ebayer with only 1 feedback bought them and left me a neg a week later, stating "not the colour as in the ad".  Now in the advert it states no less than 5 times if you leave no note when ordering design 1 in white will be sent.  I contacted ebay as he also gave me 1 star for item not described.  They said the advert was very clear but would not change the feedback as its not in covered in their dumb a$$ policy.  Anyway contacted the buyer in the end, showed him his error and he changed it after I resent a new one at his postage cost. 

The thing is if you bought something from ebay and it wasn't as expected wouldn't you contacted the buyer first to try and resolve it before just giving a neg??

Guest kenya

I will throw in a little extra to a customer if I want to, but when they start trying to beat me down- I simply tell them that they need to go to another sign shop..... then they call me back in a couple of days after they found out what they charge.  :-[

To add to this, know the signs of a bad customer.  When they approach you already asking for some sort of deal, then know they are not going to be easy to deal with.  They obviously had the money or they wouldn't try to get the work done.  Then, if you don't budge, they will do what ever it is in their power to make you work more than you need to.  "The letter M is 1mm off and now i want the whole thing redone"...uhh..no.  So look for the signs and listen to your gut.  Believe me when i say, they end up costing YOU more than the money you think you will lose when turning this customer away.  Anyway, best of luck to all.

To add to this, know the signs of a bad customer.  When they approach you already asking for some sort of deal, then know they are not going to be easy to deal with.  They obviously had the money or they wouldn't try to get the work done.  Then, if you don't budge, they will do what ever it is in their power to make you work more than you need to.  "The letter M is 1mm off and now i want the whole thing redone"...uhh..no.  So look for the signs and listen to your gut.  Believe me when i say, they end up costing YOU more than the money you think you will lose when turning this customer away.  Anyway, best of luck to all.

Good advice charlie

Well done guest. Too many times I have come across customers who feel that since they have money they can be pushy and get their ways. Sorry, but I have the right to say no to whoever I want. Just cause you are wanting to pay, doesn't mean I have to accept.

It's funny though, everyone says "they'll be back when they see so and so's pricing". It's always true too. Whether it's that week or a year, they will always need something. And I just bite my lip and laugh inside when they come calling.

Charlie_B: good advice. Your time is money, don't let these jokers take advantage of your time, money, and patience. Too many times I've seen customers wait in line and are treated terrible because the employee, owner, etc have dealt with a pain in the ass customer before them and take it out on everyone else. It's hard to swallow, but just smile and treat them with respect.

Sometimes those customers are best served by my competition.  While the competition is dealing with this jerk who either makes the job waay to difficult because you are 1mm off or he gets the price so low they are not making money.  Meanwhile I am dealing with good customers and making money.

It's not fun to lose a cusotmer but sometimes you just need to divorce them and work on getting a new customer.  I agree with other posts where a lot of times these guys come back and then they don't complain about the price.