nmertz

Mac User

Is anyone out there using a Mac Intel to run a Refine MH721? I am running Sign Cut LE and here is my problem... when cutting, the cutter either stops short of the complete

design and cuts it's way home or finishes the job and still cuts it's way home. I have run all sorts of cutters and software, so I am not new at this and have tried everything

I can think of to correct the problem. It sounds like some PC users are having the same difficulties, so any suggestions from anyone would be helpful. I have run about

20 test files and only had one cut successfully. Have no idea why that one time. Same file mulitple times doing different stuff!

Guest garysigndesign

I am a Mac user but on an iMac w/G3 processor. The last graphic I cut out at the end a line was cut from the corner through the entire graphic. I was reading a PC cutter was doing the same thing. I have also had a lot of experience with different plotters as I use this one more I will try to figure out what things affect the cutting problems. I think the one problem that all of us are going to experience is we got what we paid for. There was a rush to get the software Signcut available I think there are some bugs that have to be worked out.  I was surprised to import a design from IllustratorCS2 into SignCut with a box around it because either the weeding functions dose not come with my version or I have not figured out how to apply it. Any way the box had a stroke width of 4 points and working in other programs, it would not read the stroke but it did when I cut out the design. Unfortunately, I am going to have to sit down and spend a day getting a feel of what I got myself involved with and try to identify anything  that screws up a  project when I need it now. I know this dose not help you with your problem but us Mac folks have to stick together in a windows dominated world. G. K. out? 

I do believe you're right about the windows domination.A lot of the software that uses windows doesn't come in a mac version.And a lot of the companies who make the hardware are slow to develop drivers for mac versions.20 plus years ago,you only found macs in a graphic enviorenment because windows 3.1 just didn't have the capability to produce anything of commercial quality.These times they are a changin'.

I am getting the impression it is not a software problem but more of a hardware problem (the cutter itself). I have been able to cut successfully using a work around. I just drew a small circle at the edge of my design so when the head starts  home in the cutting position, it runs up the side of the vinyl and away from the design. It will work as long as it completes the cutting. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

I am going to start a new board for Mac users.  We have a Mac in house, but we have not done thorough testing.  If you reply with your attached graphic file, we can try it out on our machine and see if we can diagnose the issue.

- Marcus

I contacted signcut software support team and here is what they told me.

The SignCut-X2 Team

4-Mar-2007 (08:41:43)

Hi,

it is a communication problem.

What kind of communication do you use?

If your cutter has a USB outlet and that is what is in use, try to set down the Baud-rate to 4800.

Let me know if that did help.

Best regards:

Kjell Jansson

The SignCut-X2 Team

4-Mar-2007 (11:40:22)

Hello,

It is not a bug in the software, but rather a hardware issue. If you use

the USB-port on the cutter, you should use 4800-baud on both the cutter

and in SignCut-X2 according to the manufacturer in order to bypass the problem.

Could you give a link to the forum-post with the faulty statement so we

can correct it, please.

Best regards

Per Johansson / Whisqu Graphic AB

I will be checking back with them.  I don't know where to point, but the fact that the head does not pick up at the end of the cut job and cuts its way back to the origin position.  I have tried the work around, but with limited success.

Phil

I have tried changing the baud rate and it made no difference. Also, it is not a constant thing. Sometimes it will happen and sometimes it won't (with the same file) which makes me think it is the cutter itself. I am still doing some tests. I have a few other ideas to try.

I am going to install the software on a PC (windows XP pro) and try the same cutter on it.  This will at least tell me whether the issue is with the signCut -x2 software or with the actual cutter.  I will post my findings.

Phil

( I know, it is embarrassing to admit to fellow Mac users that I have used a Windoze machine.) :huh:

I have attached the reply from SignCut

The SignCut-X2 Team

5-Mar-2007 (02:01:41)

Hello,

Sorry i'm out of ideas currently. We have 3 Mac's here that we have done

extensive testing with, using over 200 cutting machines, including the Refine

models, so it's a strange problem you got, however i heard a few other people

are experiencing the same thing.

On a side note, we lended out a Refine machine to one of our customers, and as

soon as they used a knife it would give the same problem as you reported, but

also other behaviour like throwing the head agains the right wall sometimes.

The problem was either the powersupply, or the motherboard as we got new from

the manufacturer which solved it. Everything worked fine when using a pen (as

we usually use), but as soon as we changed to knife, these problems arised. If

you can, try to use a pen on a paper to see if the problem persists.

Our Mac's are (Intel MacBook G4 OS 10.4, Powerbook G3 OS 10.3, Stationary Mac G3

OS 10.4)

Best regards

Per Johansson / Whisqu Graphic AB

If this is so, then who can we contact from US Cutter that can help us get replacement parts?

Phil

Boy!Now that makes about as much sense as a big 'ol pile of nothing.I don't care what cutter you use,it doesn't know when you are plotting or cutting.And I would think that would apply to any cutter connected to a computer.No matter if it's a pc or a mac.I'll bet he's one of them nasa guys.

I tried to use it again last night and it ruined two more images by cutting through one of them and the second one ended the cut early and raced to the left side and the head hit the left side and I had to turn it off to stop it.

I don't know much about plotters, but my job is to troubleshoot computer and technology issues.  I have not seen the consistant nature of the machine that I would have expected.  It acts as if it doesn't communicate well at times.  I assumed that if it used USB it would not have to emulate a serial port.  This seems strange.  I wonder if the communication translation from usb to serial is the issue?  I am going to continue to try to solve this issue, but if it is a mother board issue, I won't be able to track the issue down. 

Can you let me know whether you have used a MH 721 with an intel based mac?  using usb? 

Phil

I talked to Phil today to go over a few things. He said he has tried this on two different MAC's with the same problem. He is going to continue some different troubleshooting steps and has also ordered a replacement motherboard in the meantime to see if that resolves the issue. As much as I know MAC users dislike PC's testing with a PC is the best way to isolate the issue since you can eliminate the possibility of the problem being with your USB connection/driver or MAC install of the software. Please keep us updated Phils so we can know how this turns out.

It sounds like Phil's problems and mine are almost identical. Did you ever try it with the Windows machine? I can try that but wanted to know if was any better before I go through that whole process. Nothing I have tried has solved the problem. What makes absolutely no sense to me is that I can take the same file, run it two different times with

different results. It was a pen plot and the first time a ran it, it was perfect. Now every time after that I get the same problem of the head not lifting as it returns home. If it were

a communication problem, wouldn't the result be the same each time?

I would highly suggest trying this on the PC with parallel or serial if possible to see if you get the same behavior. I know mac users do not like PC?s but it is the most logical way and easiest way to isolate this issue. If you have the same problem on the PC with parallel or serial then we know it?s not the OS or type of connection. Additionally I?d try cutting regular text out of Signcut to see if it works normally. This could be an incompatibility issue with Illustrator or the type of file you are importing.

OK. I have run tests on a Windows machine with the same results. After drawing the head will not come up to return to the home position. I had to use the USB connection

because the laptop I have does not have Parallel or Serial ports and also experienced the loss of connectivity I have seen others having. Signcut loses the Com port specifed after running two plots and defaults to the "write to file option" and the correct Com port disapperars from the list until restarting the machine. Based on these tests I believe it is a plotter problem and need to get a new mother board. Before I bought this machine I read a lot of positive reviews and since I have gotten mine I have seen so many similar problem I am beginning to suspect a "bad batch" of machines purchased around the same time. Just my opinion.

I connected my cutter to a windoze 2000 machine and it seems to work great.  I have connected it through the com1 port.  I am leaning toward this being a USB issue.  I even connected a third mac to it and had the same results.  I would like to use a USB to serial adapter, but have been unable to get one to work.  I have a Keyspan adapter, it blinks as if it is sending data, but nothing happens.  I was a bit frustrated when I replaced the logic board and had the same results.  I am wondering if the USB port on the cutter has some issues?  I will continue to use the PC until I can find a solution.  I don't like supporting more platforms in my own house!  I will try to connect a non intel mac to it and see if that makes a difference, but if USB is the issue, I don't think that will change anything.

Phil

I am having the exact same problem. I am running a powerbook G4 through USB. I don't have any windows machines to try and see if that will work though... any help?

;D

Good news.  I made some changes and I have been cutting without any issues.  First of all I changed from usb connection to using the usb to serial adapter from keyspan (USA-19hs)  I am using the Refine Selltopia driver in the cutter setup instead of the 721.  I did replace the logic board, but I am not sure whether this had anything to do with the success.  I still think that there may be something amiss with the usb connection on the machine.  The usb to serial works great.  Well I have cut 5 jobs last night without any issues.

Phil

I have had no issues when using 9600 Baud on both the Machine and Sign cut. Three jobs and no errors. Just glad it not cutting threw the image back to the Origin. ;D

I just went out and bought a usb to serial cable, and it worked once, but not it won't plot at all.

What settings should I be using?

I am running signcut on a powerbook G4 with a MH721

Runs MH721- What kind of Mac and OS are you running?

Running a Old G4 2X500 with OS X 10.4.8 and I tested the Refine Selltopia driver and that works, Hope that helps.

I have an intel based imac and an intel based macbook pro.  Running OS 10.4.8

I have tried another usb to serial adapter that wasn't as reliable.  I use the Keyspan adapter.

Ok... I have come to the same conclusion as Phil. I didn't change the mother board out. I borrowed a Windows machine running XP and hooked up using the serial port.

I have run about 10 pen plots and cut twice with NO PROBLEMS!!  ;D Even settiing the origin is weird like it was. The head comes up and stays up. It is working exactly like it

is supposed to. Bottom line, it is the USB port on the cutter itself. Mac or PC... makes no difference. Now I have to spend an additional $40 bucks on an adapter to run it with my Mac. That kind of sucks considering that was one of the selling points to me in the beginning. But at least now I know. It should be something US Cutter addresses and fixes going forward.

Nancy