Sign in to follow this  
Pastimes

Suggestions for vinyl for graphics on glass?

I'm expanding from vinyl on apparel to vinyl on auto window glass (a bit of a jump).

The concept is to create graphic designs and text no larger than a bumper sticker size, that can be easily applied by the consumer onto their auto glass.

I am hoping for some recommendations as to which vinyl (color would be predominantly white) that can be "consumer packaged" and "consumer friendly" for easy application, such as self-adhesive.

Thanks for any help with this.

For glass application I would go with Oracal 651. It is a good quality 5+ year outdoor life. It weeds easily and has a blue backing paper so the white of the decal will be easily read while in the package. Also the Oracal 651 is very reasonably priced.

For glass application I would go with Oracal 651. It is a good quality 5+ year outdoor life. It weeds easily and has a blue backing paper so the white of the decal will be easily read while in the package. Also the Oracal 651 is very reasonably priced.

Thanks for this info. Also, being new to "sign vinyl", can anyone offer a bit more info in regards to the need for tape, or other accessories to make it consumer friendly?

With any cut vinyl decal...you must use an application tape.  You would cut, weed, and tape the decal before shipping, customer then gets the decal, lifts the tape which peels the decal away from the backing paper.....sticks onto surface and rubs firmly, peels away tape and voila, the decal is left..    There are many tapes...alot of people like clear because you can see the graphic, although a paper tape is more user friendly IMO.  Clear is not bad however.  I recommend R-Tape...its the best brand I have tried.

With any cut vinyl decal...you must use an application tape.  You would cut, weed, and tape the decal before shipping, customer then gets the decal, lifts the tape which peels the decal away from the backing paper.....sticks onto surface and rubs firmly, peels away tape and voila, the decal is left..    There are many tapes...alot of people like clear because you can see the graphic, although a paper tape is more user friendly IMO.  Clear is not bad however.  I recommend R-Tape...its the best brand I have tried.

+1

R Tape works great for me. Clear can be a bit of a hassle sometimes if your doing big decals.

Great info. Thanks so much to everyone!