Sign in to follow this  
Skullzeezs

..Which software to buy...So many to choose from!...

WOW is all i can say! I have been online now for ... hmmm. 7 hours doing nothing but reading about which cutter to buy (this is my 5th time researching this to)... watching videos on YOUTUBE about vinyl cutting.. reading this topic and that topic... and now that I think I have the machine (thanks to someone who replied to my wanting a cutter..I will be going with the PCUT ct630, if the sale goes well)

SO NOW im down to.. which software do i buy? I see illustrator CS4, inkscape, Flexi and a few other ones... now some of them are crazy expensive, and I am not working on alot of money here. I am a newbie and just want to start with some basic car decals, words, and wall art.... SIMPLE and easy for the beginner like me...

SO any suggestions??? thanks !

I think SignBlazer is a great place to start and it's free!! I use it for almost everything.

I have the same cutter that you are getting, and all I use is Sign Blazer and Vector Magic. With all of the wonderful people around this forum you prolly won't need VM. Keep it simple till you get the ball rolling, then expand if you find a niche.

and   www.inkscape.org  is FREE,   you can download it now...I saw you had it listed in the buy list.    you can download Signblazer now and also start getting the feel of it also,   FREE  is very good..  

I wish there were more options for mac. I use Illustrator to signcut, but I would rather have a cutting software that works with mac shortcuts apple+o to open, etc. Not just a quick unstable port.

Karbon14 is free http://www.koffice.org/karbon/

SK1 is free http://sk1project.org/

there both design software

as far as cutting the only free stuff that i know of is an addon for adobe or corel draw - but you have to get a cutter that is little higher like a Graphtec

OK, maybe you can help me out a bit here.... so is adobe and corel (i do have adobe/photoshop cs3) are those good for say drawing your own decals? or taking someone elses decal and working with it? what specifically would you use that for?

and   www.inkscape.org  is FREE,   you can download it now...I saw you had it listed in the buy list.    you can download Signblazer now and also start getting the feel of it also,   FREE  is very good..  

sounds great! yea i was not sure which one cost money and which one did not.... this was my next step in research....this is why i thought posting this question may help me decide! thank you , i will download it today

Not sure but I think cs3 is a photo editing software. You need a vector based design program,like illi, coreldraw ..

I use coreldraw for the design and export the files to signcut pro for weeding lines ect. not a lot you cant do with these. But it ain't free.

Not sure but I think cs3 is a photo editing software. You need a vector based design program,like illi, coreldraw ..

I use coreldraw for the design and export the files to signcut pro for weeding lines ect. not a lot you cant do with these. But it ain't free.

Ok, thakn you for the info.... still learning ;)

I use inkscape for all my design...and I have the full version of illustrator CS3 (the vector program from adobe's line).  I find inkscape to be simpler for what I do, and I can go faster in it.  The only frustration is it uses a file type called svg to save and edit, and cutting programs use .eps.  It can save as an .eps though for the cutting program, so what I do is save an svg for later opening and editing, and an eps to cut from.  For what I pay for it though (free) I love it.

I use flexi to cut.  I started with sign blazer....and honestly really feel that flexi delivers a higher quality set of options to drive the cutter, and it has helped me dial in my cutter and cut better imo.  I am using an older version of the professional version of flexi I was able to buy for cheap, but flexi starter has all the same cutting options I believe, just fewer design options.  (someone with more knowledge of flexi please correct me if I am wrong).

My advice is download inkscape and play with it.  There are several videos I have made in the vectorizing section of this website that deal with how to take a picture from a raster image (pixels, like a jpeg or any photo) and change it to a vector (a scalable image based on nodes and paths....what cutters use to cut...file types like .eps or .svg).  You can always start with sign blazer because of the price (free) and step up if you feel as if you need to. 

you are a big help, thank you! i do have adobe illustrator cs3.. and all that went with it, thanks to the computer guy who put it on my computer... just have to learn to use it.... i will watch your videos to... i have to love the fact that people like oyu took the time to explain it so people like me can learn it! so thanks!

yes, i downloaded inkscape, reminds me a bit of photoshop but easier and quicker! still have to do reading on vectoring (spelling) someone should take the time and make a book about programs and start to finish, but then again, that may be what your video holds.....

going to go spend more time reading, watching and like you scratching my head going.. hMMMMMMMM...

;)