Sign in to follow this  
Jaymsimon

chrome vinyl on plastic trim pieces of a vehical

I had a request to put chrome on window trims (platic) on a car. Has anybody done something like this and what vinyl would I use for this? I would also think that a heat gun would be needed to mold the lines of the plastic? ;)

because chrome paint sucks..  

The thing about chrome vinyl is it doesn't conform well..  Heat won't help. It doesn't stretch or mold. I just did a diagonal strip on a race car, and it was a _itch.  If it's just trim pieces, maybe it won't be too bad..  If there is much complexity to the piece You're gonna have a hell of a time..  on my stripes, I had to cut the vinyl a few times to fit around bends in the fender/roof etc...  Just be prepared.. It's not easy.. and buy good vinyl. In my first crack at chrome i bought some cheap stuff off ebay (never a good idea, i know), and it was 100 times worse.  

because chrome paint sucks..  

The thing about chrome vinyl is it doesn't conform well..  Heat won't help. It doesn't stretch or mold. I just did a diagonal strip on a race car, and it was a _itch.  If it's just trim pieces, maybe it won't be too bad..  If there is much complexity to the piece You're gonna have a hell of a time..  on my stripes, I had to cut the vinyl a few times to fit around bends in the fender/roof etc...  Just be prepared.. It's not easy.. and buy good vinyl. In my first crack at chrome i bought some cheap stuff off ebay (never a good idea, i know), and it was 100 times worse.  

Exactly what JD7321 said.